Finally found my "Holy Grail".....

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Tony Mig, May 10, 2005.

1. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

By chance I was having breakfast with an old friend who also happens to be the local gunsmith. This fellow also holds an FFL, and on occassion he'll buy firearms from estates, and sell them to his good customers, or move them on Gunbroker.com.
    About three years ago he picked up a beautiful 6" Smith & Wesson M29-3 in nickle. A fellow walks into his shop and puts a $200.00 deposit on it, this was 3 years ago, and the guy hasn't been back since to pay off the gun, and claim his prize, so my friend (the gunsmith) told me I could have it for the same price he was charging the other fellow, and if he ever see's the other guy again, he'll return his deposit.

So, I'm about to become the proud owner of a really nice nickle finished Smith & Wesson "Dirty Harry" .44 Magnum model 29-3 for the low price of $350.00.
    It's been fired, but clean with very little signs of wear, it has those nice fat square butt target grips, wide hammer spur, and serrated trigger, plus the firing pin is in the hammer and not frame mounted.....the best part of all...."NO SAFETY LOCK".......

I've got the state permit paperwork rolling, and I've got a bonus check coming in from work at the end of the month, and as soon as I turn that check into cash, I'll turn that cash into my Holy Grail.......

I've got the reloading dies so all I need now is a bullet mold (or two), a .430 sizing die, a couple of speedloaders, a holster, and I'll be ready for some serious shooting fun.....
  2. stash247

stash247 New Member

Ataboy, Tony. Having stole the 29,now you're gona shoot it??? Another attaboy!!!
    22Gr of 2400 is a solid load, with a 200-240 gr cast bullet; back off to 20gr, and work up, carefully, feeling the primers, as you de-cap, and re-cap. If it's too easy, load shorter, .010" at a time.
    Awesome revolver, KILLER price. Want your money back? Call me!!!
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Tony Mig:

Good find. My luck is that my friendly dealer promises the gun to me and sells it to his "buddy".

While 44 Mag is impressive, it also hurts to shoot for any length of time with full loads. Shoot some full loads to see but do try some 44 special level loads in 44 mag brass. They are the most fun as they push without hurting. You can shoot all day and not get beat up. My Model 29 started as an 8 1/2 inch barreled big gun and I rebarreled it with a 4 inch barrel and now shoot the down loaded cartridges through it almost exclusively. It is now the handiest, best shooting, plinker gun made! A few cylinders full shot at a can and there is almost no can left to retrieve. Now that's fun!

LDBennett
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

"Go ahead. Make my day!"

Well, I guess he did! :D
  5. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

thats a great deal man
  6. 155gunner

155gunner New Member

Man, that is a sweet deal.