The Firearms Forum banner

Finally found the sweet spot

634 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  accident 
#1 ·
I believe I've finally found the load for my Remington 700 BDL .223. Using fire formed and neck sized brass I loaded 5 rounds each with 27.5, 27.7, 28.0, and 28.3 gr of CFE223, 40gr Hornady V-Max bullet, and COL of 2.255. The best group is using 28.0 gr and is .355" center to center (.380" outside to outside) at 100 yards. I plan to repeat the test again just to confirm it was not a fluke. That is the best group I've ever shot. It's pretty amazing how much difference 0.3 grains of powder can make. (btw-those are 3" targets)
Green Logo Colorfulness Circle Space

See less See more
#2 ·
Thats an outstanding group stev!

Are you also compiling data of your MV?

Whats it at?

Im in the testing phase for my rifle too. Did you start with 1.0gr increments or .5gr?

How long have you been at it? Whats the max load for that combo?

#7 ·
Thats an outstanding group stev!

Are you also compiling data of your MV?

Whats it at?

Im in the testing phase for my rifle too. Did you start with 1.0gr increments or .5gr?

How long have you been at it? Whats the max load for that combo?
I don't know what an "MV" is so I guess I'm not compiling any data. I also don't know what you are referring by "what's it at"?

I've been at it for a couple of months, but I have not been able to get to the range as often as I wanted. It's been raining here about every other day and the range is mostly a swamp.

According to the Hodgdon website the max load for 40gr, .223 bullets using CFE223 is 29.0 gr. I haven't gone to the max yet, but will if the rain quits for a couple of days.

#9 ·
Nice group! It's a good feeling when it all comes together like you want.Load away! Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.