Finally got back to the range

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bcj1755, Jun 4, 2009.

1. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Well, I finally got back to the range today for the first time since Feburary. Took both my P99 and my WASR. Put another 80 rounds through the P99 with no problems (I'm up to about 800 or so without the first problem...gotta love German firearms engineering:D) I fired some of my older Hydrashoks that were looking a bit old and dirty so I can rotate in some fresh ones. My pistol loves those 124gr Hydrashoks and I still can't tell a bit of difference between the 124 gr Hydrashoks or the 115gr FMJs I use for practice. I shot today at about 3 yards. But really, I figure the only time I'll ever have to shoot at someone 15 feet away would be if they are shooting at me first but it's probably still a good idea to get practice at different distances. To get an NC CHP, I had to shoot at 1, 3, and 7 yards. I don't think I'd ever have a reason to shoot my pistol at someone 21 feet away, but you never know. Fired 100 rounds through the WASR with no problems. (The total is 160 rounds without the first problem.) People say these Romanian AKMs are cheap crap, but I see no problem with it. So far it's been a great rifle that functions when I pull the trigger. I sighted in the red dot sight on the WASR and tried out the new S. Koren mag I bought for it. The mag only loads 29 rounds and only fed 27 of them. Weaker spring I'm guessing. But oh well, I loaded it with the 20 rounds of NORINCO steel core ammo a buddy gave me. Since the new mag is greyish I can tell it apart from the others, which are black. It should work just fine as a 20 rounder. I'm not too sure I like the red dot. It fired a bit to the left, I adjusted the knob and it moved a bit to the right. I adjusted a bit more but it didn't seem to do any good after that. Then it seemed to move around a bit. It seems solid on the reciever mounted rail, but I'm not too sure. Guess I'll try it one more time and if I have problems I'll just take it off and sell it or something. The AK-74-style muzzle brake helps a bit on the recoil, but the folding polymer stock I recently put on is significantly lighter than the wood stock I removed, so that probably increased felt recoil a tiny bit. But all in all I'm very happy with the Tapco folding stock. The extra length is nicer than I thought it would be and the folding helps with storage and transportation. The range has these wire mesh grate shooting tables and after 100 rounds of shooting (even with the very light recoil for the 7.62x39) my elbows are sore. Shoulder's just fine though:D After that, I came home, cleaned my weapons, and ate a manly dinner consisting of corndogs:D:D
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

Heh, corndogs. Excellent.
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i had a romanian ak and i shot around 3,000 rounds through it, i didnt have any trouble, i think it stove piped 2 times... maybe just once, i dont recall.