Finally got it dialed in

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by armedandsafe, Oct 9, 2006.

1. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

We finally got the TC Hawkens dialed in, yesterday. We had to go to 18thou patches, drop to 90 grains of RS, reset the front sight to the left and work on the rear sight elevation.

Son #3 is now plunking balls into the center of a paper plate at 75 yards with marvelous consistency.

My old CVA Hawkens is still throwing the 295 PowerBelts pushed by 100gr of RS into center just fine, thank you very much. :D

Pops
  2. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Sounds like the deer should be nervous........

LTS
  3. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

Nothing like getting dialed in, makes you happy.
  4. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Have you tried the Buffalo Ballets?

My son's CVA Frontier Carbine .50 Hawkens shoots NICE groups at 100, with anywhere from 85 to 95 grains FFFg Goex...and they are only 245 gr, so recoil was a lot easier to handle for him when he was 12 when we built it, and I was so happy with the accuracy it is all we shoot in it.

He got his buck with it when he was 13, used 85 grains, shot it moving pretty fast quartering away from his stand from about 40 yds, it jumped a fence and ran about 30 feet farther and died...traveled a total of about 50 feet. From the upper back of the rib cage, it went through diagonally and down and exited the far shoulder. caught both lungs, and went completely through a rib and the shoulder, I was pretty happy with the penetration.

They look like two balls back to back, combined into one projectile, with the bottom one hollow, so you don't patch it, it loads and fires like a minie ball.

(I steal it when he's not looking and it's raining out too much for my flintlock.....:p )
  5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I haven't tried the ball-et, yet, because it is about 250 miles round trip to find them. I keep meaning to order some, but haven't found my round tuit. I have heard good reports on them, though.

Pops
  6. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Sounds like your new toy is ready to hunt
  7. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Yeah, they used to sell them at Walmart, but got out of them, in fact the last box I bought was 50% off on clearance at my local Wally world...

But I KNOW they still make them, Dixie still lists them in their catalogue, and I see them at shows.

But EVERY place I go that carrys ML stuff I'm alsways LOOKING for them "just in case."
  8. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest