The Firearms Forum banner

Finally loaded my first live rounds!

2K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  woolleyworm 
#1 ·
First I would like to give a big thank you to all the kind and helpful people on this forum! After over a year from receiving it I finally got my press and reloading room set up, It has been a long time coming but I finally made up my first rounds last night!
I am using:
Win brass
CCI small pistol primers
4.9gr of SR4756 starting load (as per Hodgdon/IMR reloading data website)
124gr Berrys rn bullets
1.160 COL
Finished rounds pass the plunk test in my sp-01 and p-01 barrels and fit my case gage fine. I have been doing a lot of reading and double checking but I do feel pretty confident that I did everything correctly and am looking forward to giving them a try later today.

#2 ·
Looking forward to your range report, include pictures if you can.

#3 ·
Any word on how things went on the range with your new rounds? I can understand well your excitement: I just finished putting away my gear after loading my first ever set of rounds. I loaded 20 rounds of .223: 55 gr FMJ BT over 25 grn of BL-C(2).

If I'm lucky I can run to the range some evening this week after work and before it gets dark. I just want to see if they go bang. I'm a little worried I didn't ream the primer pocket enough. We'll see.

Let us know!

OR

#7 ·
You only need to worry if it was crimped military brass. If the primers seated, you should be good. You actually need them to bottom out in the pocket. This sets the anvil in the primer.

#4 ·
Otisrush,

Wouldn't about it too much. You don't have to make it look like new brass, at least I never have and I've been reloading for years. As long as you made the attempt I'm sure all's well. Believe me there are much worse things you can do.

#5 ·
Didn't make it to the range today to try them out, had to cross a few things off of the honey-do list and lunch with the potential future in-laws, and 30-40 mph winds were not a help either. Hope to try them out after work sometime this week. Bummer, but sometimes life gets in the way of fun!

#6 ·
Just don't make too many until you know with what load your pistol will function.
Some pistols don't work reliable with starting loads.

Also IMR SR-4756 is rumored to be discontinued end of this year so you may want to try another powder instead of investing a lot of time in IMR SR-4756. (Unless you have a #8 jug of course :) )

Otirus, if the primers seat slightly below flush all is good. No need to ream or them.

#9 ·
Uh - you got another TWO hooked. I just returned from the range. Yesterday I charged and seated bullets on 20 .223 rounds. I couldn't stand it: I ran to the range and put them through my AR. I did all 20 from the hip - just in case there were issues. (I know - maybe my paranoia got the best of me.) Did a couple of single shots. Then put more and more into the mag. All 20 were flawless. No slam fires. No misfeeds. No FTEs.

What a cool sub-hobby within the hobby. Now I'll start working up different loads to see which one my particular firearm likes.

OR

#10 ·
My very first reload I shot was for my S&W Mod. 10. I held the gun at arms length, turned my head and put my off hand against my neck/head and pulled the trigger. :eek: That was in 1969, and even today I feel a bit of trepidation when I pull the trigger on a new reload or different method for a new gun...

#12 · (Edited)
Ok, so I went to try my rounds out. Good news: No sqibs, all rounds I shot fired fine. Bad news: Stovepipes. Every single shot. Fired cases are sooty. Thinking I need to increase the powder charge slightly, or seat the bullet a little deeper. Any help from the reloading gurus would be appreciated.

#14 ·
Soundguy, I was wondering. Would a crimp, or lack there of have anything to do with expansion? Never loaded 9mikemike so I'm unfamiliar with that specific cartridge.

#20 ·
OK, so I shortened up the round I had loaded with 4.9 grains to 1.150, still did the stovepiping, but cases were much cleaner than the 1.160 length. I made up some more, 5 batches of 5 loaded with 5.0gr, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, and the max load of 5.4 grains of powder all seated at the 1.150 COL. Will report back with the results.

#24 ·
Just got back from the range, Success! All rounds fired and cycled well, Loads at 5.0-5.2 were all on paper and gave decent groups, Loads at 5.3 and 5.4 grains were far less accurate. No signs of overpressure in any of the fired cases. Looks like I need to load more for testing in the 5.0-5.2 ranges!:) Having all of them cycle is a good feeling!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.