Finally shot a 1911....

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by AaronW, May 2, 2016.

1. AaronW

AaronW Well-Known Member

Well I had shot on round a long time ago at the river but it didn't really count since I was wincing from firing one shot without having any ears on. It was a Springfield mil-spec model. Rented it and 50 rounds at the range when I was on vacation last week. A bit bigger than handguns I'm used to since I've been mostly shooting my XDs-9 carry gun recently and a 38 snubbie. Wow that was a nice handling firearm and very nice shooting. I know for sure what my next pistol will be now. Will go great with the Garand too. I think a GI model is on the top of the list.

Bama1022, Guts3d, dbcooper and 6 others like this.
  2. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Some folks find 1911s addictive. I did not like them when in the Army and didn't touch one for over 40 years. At the Texas TFF meet a few years ago, I shot a members Citadel and Browning .22lr. Changed my mind. Bought a Citadel on the way home(and set of Woodnut's custom grips). Since then, I have added 4 more.

Guts3d, dbcooper, Broot and 2 others like this.

3. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Like jedwil said, .45's are addicting! I only own one. It's a Jim Clark custom, and I've never had a problem with it. And it's all I can carry, and shoot at one time. It's all I need. Anything else would be a step down, except maybe a Kimber. And like jedwil, and many other members here, it wears a set of woodnut's custom grips. DSCF0187.JPG

4. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have four in .45 ACP, one in 9mm, one in .380, and one in .22. And if you want to count the Sig P938 as a 1911, then I have two in 9mm.

Three of them have Woodnut's grips on them.

Guts3d, carver, howlnmad and 2 others like this.
  6. AaronW

AaronW Well-Known Member

It will be a few months most likely but I was looking at a Rock Island 1911 that seemed pretty nice but man were the grips thick compared to the one I was shooting last Monday. Though I'm sure the 1911 has a million aftermarket options for new grips.

Fordpkup, Guts3d, carver and 2 others like this.
  7. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

1911's are like heroin, Once you get one you can't stop buying.

Yes, you can get thin grips which will greatly reduce the thickness.

Guts3d, AaronW, carver and 1 other person like this.
  8. jwdurf

jwdurf Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I had 1911's in the Marines and was happy to turn mine in when the Corps switched to M9's. The 1911's I had in the Marines were sloppy, worn out dregs. I liked the format, the feel and function, but every one I was issued was worn out.

Now I own 6 of them, a 70 Series Colt Government, a 70 Series Mark IV, a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II HD, A Kimber Custom II a Sig Nitron and a Springfield Defender. The Mark IV is my favorite but it only comes out once in a while. I really like all of them, I shoot the 2 Kimbers and the Sig the most.

When you start looking be sure to check out the Sig. They are really built nicely.

9. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have a Ruger CMD 1911. I love it. I want to get a Colt when the budget allows. I think its the law that all gun owners need at least one 1911.

10. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

We have four 11A1s; my faithful old Ithaca, Springfield GI, Remington 11R1, and a Norinco 11A1 clone that followed me home from the LGS a while back. Yes, they are addicting - just like Garands.

11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have a Colt in .45, a Sig in .45. a Ruger in .45, an ATI in .45, a Taurus in 9mm, a Llama in .380, and a Browning in .22

12. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member

I have 3, a Colt, Kimber and a Sig. The Sig P220 is a joy to shoot but it is a hog to carry but in a pinch, it would make a good club

13. AaronW

AaronW Well-Known Member

I wonder what the CMP 1911 releases are going to be like having heard how loose and worn so many military issue 1911's were. Sigs are nice but I'm more looking at a basic 1911 with few frills.

Well the garand order finally posted yesterday so hopefully by the end of summer I have put enough aside to get a nice basic 1911.

carver, Guts3d and firefighter1635 like this.
  14. The_Patriot2016

The_Patriot2016 Well-Known Member

My favorite handgun by far is my Springfield 1911...I don't see me ever giving that baby up.

Guts3d likes this.
  15. Guts3d

Guts3d Well-Known Member

Stock up on ammo and extra magazines. Nothing is more frustrating than when you have the time, the pistol, and the place to shoot, but no ammo...