Finally shot the Krag

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by TheJakster2, Dec 19, 2007.

1. TheJakster2

TheJakster2 New Member

Got to the range finally today with the Krag and a couple of other rifles I needed to sight in.
    Three words on the Krag

I LIKE IT!:D:D:D

What a smooth rifle, only took four rounds to dial in at fifty yards. Moved out to 100 yards two 3-shot groups at sub 1" groups. Fourth shot in both groups tended to drop 2 inches. Let the barrel cool right back to center. I was going to set it at 3" high at 100 which would give me good coverage out to 200 but a group of Rambo wanna be's opened up next to me. Not only was I covered in a rain of hot brass the way they set up on the fifty yard target allowed them to blast mine at 100. They were having way to good a time blasting away to be upset:rolleyes: I'll go back and finish fine tuning another day.I'll bet they went through $200 worth of ammo in five minutes.

Had a lot of compliment from the regulars at the range on the work and finish of the rifle, icing on the cake that it shoots great. Now all I got to do is find a deer:D:D

2. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Shooting Home Loads or Factory ammo?

Sounds preety sweet either way.:)
  3. TheJakster2

TheJakster2 New Member

Factory loads
    Remington Express 180gr Core-loks

Very consistant
  4. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Gramps told me he liked the 180s in his Krag too...while he preferred 150s for deer, he said 200s were better for bear, but wasted too much meat on deer, so during his "poorer" years he only bought 180s so he could use it for both....

Although when I hunted with him he had already been loading for decades, and I never saw him have anything on his bench during deer season except 150 gr Spire points, so I think he was saying it for my benefit, a "poor" just married young guy having to buy ammo for his .300 Savage I was going to borrow to hunt bear and deer with him.....and yeah, I bought 180s....:p

He also loaded a Sierra 125 grain Spitzer load for his Krag, that he called his "Turkey and Bunny" load, in fact when inherited his reloading stuff he had a box with 14 of them left in his reloading box.....in fact, I just reached over and picked it up, the price tag is still on it...$4.40...;):p :cool::cool:;)

Thanks for bringing back some cherished memories....:)