Finally something my Rem 552 auto likes

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by accident, Jan 6, 2011.

1. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I own a Remington mdl 552 Speedmaster semi-auto.No matter what ammo I tried (probably 10-15 different brands),I could not get the gun to group well.Most groups were 2.5" at 50yds.Not very good.It won't cycle target ammo like GE Match or others, so I'm trying HV ammo.Nothing grouped at all until I bought a box of 100 CCI Mini Mag 40gr HV.With this it puts all the shots inside one of the orange 1" stick-on dots.Obviously this gun is very picky when it comes to ammo.I am very pleased as I was about to give up on the gun.After ordering all this different ammo from Midway and others,I find the right cartridges at Wally World.Just thought i"d share. Joe
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

congratulations. 1" at fifty yards is pretty good for a 22
  3. one474239

one474239 New Member

i use cci stingers in mine but they don`t work well in my erma or my 84c i hate to think i`ll need a different style for each one
  4. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

for maximum accuracy you will probably need a different round for each gun. but for plinking and acceptable accuracy you might be able to find a good compromise. federal bulk always performs well for me for general purpose. actually i havent shot anything else in over a year or so.

i do have some cci's but... they're too expensive to plink cans with since the federal is accurate "enough"
  5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

...agree with John, seems every .22lr I have, likes different ammo. IMO, and what I do is, before going with all the expensive ammo, start out with decent ammo and work out what ammo the firearm likes. Ive had good luck with the CCI Bazer's and their not that costly.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Now its time to buy as many boxes of the same lot as you can afford... I did the same with Aguila GE match for my rem 5, I tried it, got bug holes at 50 and then bought 2 bricks of the same lot, so now my bug holes arent going to wander...;)