The Firearms Forum banner

Finally!

3K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  JasonS 
#1 ·
I have always wanted to get a Kabar USMC fighting knife. and today i finally did. I chose the 5 incher and I just finished a 2 hour job of putting an edge on it. Cant wait to go cut something with it!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Nice!

I have 4 of them. One is the orignal one I carried in the Marine Corps and it's put up in a case. Two I have bought from Ontario Knive Co. during the years, and finally I was given one made made by Case when I retired. On the blade is engraved with my name, and the phrase "For 38 years of service", then the companies name. It's pretty cool.

All of mine are the original size tho. Think I'll get one of those 5" ones tho. It will no doubt get well used.

Enjoy the day.

#6 ·
Sweet Josh! Very nice. Where did you pick it up at?
Cabelas.

Im kickin myself for not buying one 10 years ago when i first started wanting one. they were 40 bucks back then. Theyve jumped to 70 now. But they are incredibly well made and the steel is second to none.

#8 ·
looks like a great knife!

#9 ·
Cabelas.

Im kickin myself for not buying one 10 years ago when i first started wanting one. they were 40 bucks back then. Theyve jumped to 70 now. But they are incredibly well made and the steel is second to none.
That's a nice looki'n knife Josh!
For the quality you've described, 70 bucks aint bad, IMO!

#10 ·
No its not at all. but i coulda had one 10 years ago for 40.. ;)

#13 ·
Like Zane sez, don't kick yourself for what you coud've paid 10 years ago... I collect 19th Century sword bayonets; and I started in 1974. Oh, what I coulda bought back then! But I didn't have the money or the knowledge... you've got it now, and 10 years from now you can look at the price you paid and smile!

#15 ·
Like Zane sez, don't kick yourself for what you coud've paid 10 years ago... I collect 19th Century sword bayonets; and I started in 1974. Oh, what I coulda bought back then! But I didn't have the money or the knowledge... you've got it now, and 10 years from now you can look at the price you paid and smile!
:thumbsup: Love it!

#22 ·
And its full length rat tail tang. the leather is sandwiched disks between the front an drear bolsters and the rear bolster is staked tot he tang and solid. Its definietly build rugged befitting of its USMC namesake.

#23 ·
And the steel. Holy crap, took me 2 hours to hone the edge. Onlt other knife i got that took me that long is my Garand bayonet. Incredibly tough steel. It should hold the edge fo a good while., prolly gut at least 3 deer before having to hit the edge with anything.

#24 ·
Congrats Josh. I've always said that for my purposes a K Bar was all I needed in a fixed blade, and I've owned several over the years that I've given to friends. In my opinion they are superior to some costing 4 times as much. Not too long ago I finally got one like that except with the 7" blade made by K Bar. Glad you finally got yours.

#25 ·
I just got my 7 incher yesterday, love it to death, was supposed to get my Ontario version of it today but I missed the dang mailman and have to wait till Monday!!!!!!

You can grab these on Amazon for around 45.

To my understanding the 5 inch is the shorty right, along with a slightly smaller grip, I got big hands so I worried about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.