Finally...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by USMC-03, Aug 12, 2009.

1. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    After all of this time, trouble and angst, we have an appointment to pick up the keys for our new house tomorrow afternoon at 3:30. This whole thing has been nothing but an up-hill battle; I'm exhausted... And what's more, after the frustration involved, last night Mrs. USMC-03 said she has no enthusiasm to move in; she is coming around now that we have a time set and starting to pick out colors for the inside; I'm married to a good woman...
  2. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Haha, it's good that you have a timetable to work with now. Here's how my first home building experience went.... :eek: Be thankful you didn't have this trouble.

My wife and I purchased 9.65 acres on which we planned to build a small garage apartment and later a house. We payed on the land for a year and knocked a good chunk of it out when we started looking to build. We got quotes on a 3-car garage apartment that fit our building restrictions and went to a mortgage broker. The guy told us that we'd have no problem and kept us on the hook for about 4 freakin' months for a construction loan approval. Finally, I confronted him and asked what the hell the problem was. He told me that the loan was approved and to go ahead and tell the builder to start. I did that, and the builder planned to build our small house but luckily did no work yet. A week or so later I called to ask about our loan. He told me there was a problem. He actually couldn't get comparable values for the garage/apartment in our area and had been lying to me for months. I got him fired QUICKLY, and had to consequently scrap our old plans and plan anew. We chose house plans we liked, ordered them, got quoted from the same builder on the house plans and got a new construction loan quickly. It was just a little bit of a financial shock adjusting from a plan for a small house to a plan for a much larger house. The builder quoted 8 months and ended up taking almost 10 months to build the house. I almost had to pay interest penalty payments for him being late on the contract. In the end, we're proud of where we live. The trip to get there makes one want to voluntarily check into a mental health clinic... Building a house is HORRIBLE!!!!!!! Be glad you've had it relatively easy... :D

Congratulations! :D
  3. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

I feel your pain Ponycar; this is the fourth house we've made an offer on in the past 6 months. I don't even want to go into the shyster realtors and inept mortgage brokers we're dealt with... And thanks.
  4. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

Good for you USMC, congrats, take your time, make it home.
  5. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Congrats USMC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mike
    gn
  6. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

You dont need much more than that USMC. Congratulations.
  7. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

A good woman, and a roof! Some folks have it all!
  8. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Thanks, guys. Ok, I'm off to get the keys.
  9. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I only plan to move once more to the cemetery or if I win a HUGE lottery and then I will just do some pointing and pay for it to all be done.
    I would rather be shot again then to go through all that crap.
    I am happy that you got the house you wanted and are going to get settled down one more time.
  10. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Don't forget the silicone repair kit.... :D:D:D:D

mike
    gn