Finding your old pistol

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RYANINMICHIGAN, Dec 9, 2012.

1. RYANINMICHIGAN

RYANINMICHIGAN New Member

I sold a pistol back maybe 20 years ago. I was young and dumb and needed some cash. Anyway I have been wondering, is there anyway to track down the current owner and see if I can buy it back? Has anyone ever done this?
  2. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Active Member

if you sold it through a ffl dealer he could go back through his records and that would be a start.
    if you did a FTF , i would say your chances are very slim to find it
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

If you know the guy you sold it to, there is a slight chance that he might still have it. If you sold it by an ad in the paper or something like that, an iceberg in Hell would have a better chance at survival than you would have in finding it.
  4. jim brady

jim brady Active Member

Like Hillbilly and Gdmoody said, the odds are awful slim. Sounds like you either didn't know the guy who bought it or lost track of him. Unless you went thru one of those facebook places and found him by name, I seriuosly doubt if you will ever see that pistol.

You'd be much better off just looking for a similar pistol and replaceing it that way. The only guns I've ever really gotten back were thru the family. As far as kicking ourselves in the fanny for long past trades and sales - welcome to the bruised fanny club. I am a charter member.
  5. RYANINMICHIGAN

It was nothing special just a black hawk. But it was the first pistol I ever bought. I thought maybe there would be a way to run the serial number and find it. Only gun I have ever sold
  6. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Just buy another one like you sold - easier to do than finding out where the one you sold is. I had to sell a .45 long ago when I had to move from (what wasn't then) Commiefornia and go to Massachusetts to take care of my mom who was dying of cancer. I had to sell all my guns because Mass. has stupid laws about them. My Singer .45 would be worth around $3,000 right now. However, no use crying over spilled milk - I traded an SKS rifle for the .45 I have now.
  7. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

In 1981 all my guns were stolen. A few years ago I decided to rebuild my collection. Kids were all grown up. House paid for. By the end of this year I will have replaced all my stolen guns.

Move on. Buy a gun like the one you sold and it will be just as good.
  8. RYANINMICHIGAN

Ya easer to just buy another. They are a dime a dozen around here. I just have it a thought and my head kind of ran with it. Happens sometimes
  9. Jerryboy

Jerryboy Well-Known Member

last year i sold my grandma's old H&R Guardsman .32 revolver, and i don't miss it(much).

i do wish i still had a small lightweight revolver that i could slip in my sweatpants pocket when my dog hears something outside in the middle of the night and won't shut up until i investigate, but on the other hand it was a very combat ineffective gun because the center pin would pop out every 3-4 shits, and in order to reload you had to pull out the center pin, completely remove the cylinder from the gun, reload the cylinder, put it back in the frame, replace the center pin, and then shoot.

other than that it was pretty accurate, lightweight, and compact. maybe when i have the money i'll find some little S&W .38 to carry.
  10. lead

lead Active Member

I sold a gun out of need a number of years ago. Maybe 4 or 5 years later, it was traded in at a local gun shop by the gun who bought it from me. He didn't take good care of it. I didn't even make an offer on it. I bought a version of that gun that was in the kind of shape my old one was when I owned it.