1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Finger stinging compacs VS full size fun shooters

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by flyingtiger85, Nov 26, 2010.

1. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

I've owned and got rid of a compact 9mm that was miserable to shoot.I guess that's why I like my full size S&W model-59 high capacity so much.I can shoot it all day.A ruger gp-100 heavy barrel with 38 specials is fun too.I know someone will think that's wimpey, but I like to shoot.H&R 22's are a favorite to.Any other whimps out there.
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

im a wimp to some degree. some small guns are a bear to shoot and not much fun. but i do like shooting full power 357s in a full size gun such as a smith and wesson 686 or a ruger blackhawk.

i love shooting 22's. i have a ruger single six. and i love shooting it. i love shooting anything though long as it dont kick too much. sometimes even a 12 gauge is too stiff. 30-30 is nice, good kick but not too hard
  3. ofitg

ofitg New Member

I think a lot of it depends on how well the gun fits your hand. A few magazines through a Makarov makes my hand ache. A few magazines through the old AMT .380 Backup, and my hand would ache for days.
    On the other hand, I've never experienced any problem with the Colt Mustang.
  4. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

Most sub-compacts are simply not range guns. They sting, they bite, and they jump. They are made for concealability or as a BUG, period. In a SD situation, you pull the trigger. I shoot my Kel-Tec P3AT maybe once a year then I go home and ice my thumb. If I ever need it the last thing I will worry about is how rotten it is to shoot. If it goes bang and I hit what I'm aiming at, it's worth every penny. If I had my druthers, I'd sling my Mossberg, Home Defense shotgun over my shoulder and go about my business. I'm not in the least concerned how my CC gun shoots, what concerns me is if it shoots and if I can hit what I'm aiming at.
  5. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

Gun Geezer I'm with you 100%, your right on.Mostly, I was just commenting about my enjoyment of shooting guns that you can shot comfortably for long periods of time.Maybe if i persue a ccw I was thinking of looking for a gun that's small and fire friendly.I have seen some nice looking 32 h&r mags and 32-s&w long guns but the ammo is so expensive.You probalbly would have to reload it yourself.
  6. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

All my rifles are .22's only because I shoot a lot of rimfire matches.....(mini-palma, USBRA, anda few internet matches)....

Handguns are 50/50.....half are center fire of some sort, and the other half are .22's. I enjoy shooting .22's they are cheap, and I can shoot all day without emptying my bank account.....

I reload a variety of loads for my center fire handguns, everything from mild target / match loads to hot magnum loads.......
  7. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

hornady , remington golden sabers, mag-tec, corbon all make ammo in the 200 ft lbs range. there is even some as hot as 300 ft lbs, so there is no need to pull things apart and reinvent the wheel. and for the record it's not even close to some 9mm ballistics and i'd love to see getting 1200 ft per second out of a keltec 380. , maybe if you installed a 6 inch barrel you'd see 1200 ft per second. but hey i could be wrong do you have some chronograph data to back that up ?
  8. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

for some reason i have a desire for a cold diamondback. would love one in 22 and one in 38 special. never shot one, but i speculate that those are some easy shooting guns. and from what i hear, very fine shooting 22s
  9. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

john i've never shot the 22 colt diamondback but let me tell you the 38's i have one with a 2.5 inch barrel and one with a 4 incher are great shooters. if you find one and don't mind the insane prices jump on it, you'll never be sorry you did.
  10. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

little on the rude side aren't you ? i've chrono'ed winchester silver tips out of a browning bda. 3.5 inch barrel my results were 975 ft per second with a calculated 225 ft pounds of energy . new gun, weather conditions slight overcast 77 degrees f wind 4 mph .
  11. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

in your original post you claimed 1200 ft per second from a kel-tec 380. that i dispute i dont care if it's blow back or locked breech unless you're testing in the vacuum of space i don't see that happening . if you want 9mm ballistics get a 9mm
  12. Boris

Boris Former Guest

I was about to say the same. The slide on both does not start to move until the projectile has left the barrel so the a straight blowback or a locked action will only have a change in velocity due to barrel differences. The action makes no differsnce at all..