Finnish Model 39 Mosin

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/7/02 11:43:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Finnish Model 39 Mosin
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey guys -

Someone posted a "for sale" out at the gun range - a Finn Model 39 MN, supposedly in "like new" condition. Wants $180 for it and 250+ rounds of ammo. After laughing for a while, tho't I'd post here to see if it was a smoking deal, or not!

Boogalou
    (2/8/02 7:52:12 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Finnish Model 39 Mosin
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Depends upon what kind of M39 it is. A "B" marked barrel, (made in Belgium) a rifle made in 1968-72, or a SKY rifle, (Finnish Civil Guard) would run for around that price or higher. Russian surplus ammo runs around .10/round. If it is a Sako or VKT then the rifle would have to be near mint condition. If it says Tikka on the barrel then snap it up. There were very few of these made and they were going for $400+ about a year ago.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/8/02 7:58:38 am)
    Boogalou is right - depends on the manufacture. Some of the M39s are more common, and that would be a high price for the common varieities, however, the overall price of the M39s has gone up drastically over the past ten years, whereas most of the Russian Mosin Nagants have not.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Doctor Xring
    (2/8/02 11:59:55 am)
    reason for above.

Total production of M39 all variants- 130,000

Total available in "like new" condition- ???

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/8/02 10:23:32 pm)
    Thanks for the info, folks -

Put a call into his home phone, only to find out he is out of town until Sunday. Hopefully, he will return the call and I can check it out. Just what I need - a Finnish version of a Russian pry bar!

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/8/02 10:40:55 pm)
    Yep, and the first "Pry bar" you've owned that'll shoot a third eye in a Russian at 500 yds AFTER used as a pry bar....and made from a RUSSIAN rifle that'd shoot a third eye in a Prussian Feldwebel at 500 Arshini...(after being used as a turnip digger...)
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/8/02 10:51:06 pm)
    Well..........

At least, we ALL know what they'll do to rototillers in the dark, eh? (Hee, Hee, Hee!)

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/8/02 11:34:19 pm)
    That was a M44, not a M39...I can't vouch for the "armor piercing" capability of the Finnish stuff, but the old Hungarian did JUST fine....

I don't know which trips my trigger quicker, Kdub, your "pry bar" or GPs "Reagan bashing..."
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

velvetnsteel
    (2/9/02 6:56:01 pm)
    Rototiller Polish ???????It musta been like most of my lawnmowers!!

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/10/02 3:57:41 pm)
    New Years Eve, 2001.....my Family has a long tradition of firearms salutes at New Years....

I have a pile of dirt in the backyard as a backstop, at about 30 yds....

...and an old white foam archery target as a "low light" target...(Neighbor has a big mercury light in backyard, so I have just a little light...") (Yes I live in a subdivision, but surrounded by "good old boys who don't mind OCCCASIONAL gunfire from those of us blessed to live on the outside, with nothing but farmland for miles behind us....)

But the angle from just behind my back porch is just a little different than I usually shoot, and longer (maybe 50 yds) from my usual firing line...

...and caught the corner of my garden...

My rototiller had thrown a rod, and I left the antique POS sitting where it stopped during the fall tilling...

When I put the 5 round stripper clip of x54 "Happy New Years" salute downrange, I kinda wondered about the one round that "sparked" out there....

The next day I shared the story with some of my buddies at GB, when that was a good board...(and neglected to tell them it was a trashed tiller)(What the hey, it made a better story!... )

SCRATCH ONE SEARS TILLER...

Most if not all of my old friends from there are here now...

...and they have LONG memories...watch what you tell 'em...

BTW, Kdub, yesterday my wife and I were at a Menard's in Indy looking at paint...(she's thinking since I'm unemployed, SHE'D put me to work...)

....and lo and behold, in the spray paint section they had a neat sign ...."NEW! Simulated Metallic Patina Finish!"...

....somebody beat me to it....

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/10/02 9:29:32 pm)
    Was it a lovely brown?

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/12/02 12:10:29 am)
    ACTUALLY, it was kinda a gaudy gold like you'd see on a cheap statue of the Virgin Mary in an old cast iron bathtub set up as a shrine in the backyard of any third house in Cheektowaga, NY...

...I better send them a picture of the REAL stuff...spray THAT on a '97 you'd look like a Poor Polish Pimp...

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/12/02 10:56:31 am)
    ....now if you can only find a spray the color of those pink flamingos on the front lawn.....

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/12/02 12:11:29 pm)
    So you HAVE been in Cheektowaga, huh, X?

When I was growing up around Buffalo, Cheektowaga was also known as "The Land of the Pink Flamingo..."

Reminds me of another timely Buffalo area joke....

"How do you know it's springtime in Depew?"

"You see the sap buckets on the telephone poles..."

And it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the ETHNICITY of most of the people in those areas, of which I is one, even if I never lived in either of those areas...

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/12/02 2:07:38 pm)
    Polish this is the funniest thread I have ever read on any forum and since it is Packzi day (misspelled I am sure for doughnut) have one on me. Kdub did you buy that Finnish "jack handle" yet? Polish has a lot of spare buckets in the garage since they put underground wiring in his neighborhood. The electric company was ticked off that someone was shooting at insulators and transformers on New Years Eve .....
    cointoss2

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/12/02 5:50:46 pm)
    I'll have you know I have never KNOWINGLY shot an insulator...

But I WAS present while a cousin of mine (from California, no less) accidently put a .22 round into a phone line shooting at a starling...

Nobody knew it until a few days later, it didn't affect OUR line, the phone company is parked in our driveway putting a splice in the line, and he came up to our house with the deformed Remington 40gr solid....my Dad was pissed, but I safely blamed it all on my cousin that at the time was on his way back to Santa Clara and couldn't be reached for comment....