Finnish Mosin Found in the Woods and Restored

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by thomasvr, Nov 11, 2012.

1. thomasvr

thomasvr New Member

Hi all,

I've watched this forum for a while, but this is my first time posting.

I read an article recently about a guy that found a Finnish Mosin in the woods and restored it. I believe it was found somewhere in Canada.
    Here is the link to the article:
    http://www.armoryblog.com/firearms/rifles/finnish-mosin-found-in-the-woods-and-restored/

and here is where more pictures are posted:
    http://imgur.com/a/S0rsR

I realize that the Mosin Nagant rifles are really not worth very much, but I was curious if this particular rifle might be worth more than a typical "out of the box" Mosin since it has a story to go with it and documentation of that story. Also, what is the significance of the gun being Finnish?

Maybe this is more of a question for Antiques Roadshow, but I was just curious what this forum thought.

Thanks.
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

During the Winter War the Finns captured a number of Russian Mosin Nagants, they re-barreled and reworked them, as a result they are more accurate than the run of the mill Russian rifle. That's the short answer of what is a Finnish Mosin Nagant. Does the story make it more more valuable?, not in my opinion, it is still just a very pitted Finnish war capture rifle. Worth less than if it was in decent condition. But of course, my opinion is worth every penny of what you paid for it.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF T; I don't think the story adds any additional value. Unless the gun itself had some historical significance, there isn't any reason that it should be worth more monetary value. It's an interesting story though; the Finns are considered by most to the be the best of the Mosin Nagant family.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Indeed they are.. The finns really know thier rifles and have been among the leaders in superior accuracy since the turn of the 20th century. The Finn mosins are all built on hex mosin recievers, most of them original 1891 recievers. Among the changes the fins made were inproved 2 stage trigger, heavier barrel with a 45* crown, much better sights, and a much better stock. I have a pristine example of an M39 Sako sneak rifle. it is very very accurate and a joy to shoot.

I agree with the other guys about the rifle not being worth much despite the story. It is still a military surplus rifle in pretty bad shape.
  5. thomasvr

thomasvr New Member

Great, thank you all for the info!