Fire Dragon Dual Action Buffer Spring System

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by NonPCnraRN, Dec 24, 2009.

1. NonPCnraRN

NonPCnraRN New Member

I installed a Fire Dragon Buffer system which consists of a FLGR that is drop in. It has a 16 # outer spring and at the breech end has an internal spring to add additional resistance just before the slide completes its rearward movement when fired. I did this as I will be using Buffalo Bore 230 gr truncated cone fmj +P (950 fps). The outer spring supplied with the kit was 7/8" longer than the stock spring and it was extremely difficult to compress the spring and plug to swing the barrel bushing into place. It was also very difficult to rack the slide, especially the last 1/8". I used the 16# stock SA spring which is 6". The reassembly is a lot easier and there is still the added resistance in the last 1/8" of rearward slide travel. I assume that 16# springs can be of different lengths and wire diameter and have the same effect, yes/no? Before someone says contact the manufacturer, I have sent a couple of e-mails but no answer so far...maybe the holidays. I didn't just go to a stronger regular recoil spring because I didn't want to increase forward slide velocity and frame battering. Does anyone have any experience with this buffer system or the Sprinco system which is similar for that matter?
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2009