1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Fire Lapping

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by keppler, May 25, 2003.

1. keppler

keppler New Member

I stopped by a gunsmith that I trust yesterday and told him about the CZ thats been giving me so much trouble. He said he would re-crown if I wanted but that he thought it may be a rough spot in the barrel giving me the trouble.
    I was on my way to Norman to help my daughter move...Yup...O.U. I didnt have the rifle with me so he didnt look at it. Anyway...he set me up...for free... with some JB paste to try fire lapping and see if that would help before doing anything with the barrel.
    Has anybody tried this or know much about it? Seems like it couldnt hurt as long as you dont over do it. He said to fire 2 or 3 shots with the paste on the bullet, give a good cleaning and see what happens.
    Any opinions on this would be appreciated. Thanks
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

I've used JB bore cleaner paste for years - everything from bore cleaning to imparting a dull sheen finish to polished stocks.

For bore cleaning, you take a cleaning patch tightly wound around a bore brush and saturated with the past and bore cleaner, such as Hoppes. The bore should be wetted with Hoppes (or equilivent). PULL the brush from chamber to muzzle.
    Don't do it the other way, or you can mess up the muzzle crown. Do this several times and see how black the patch is! Renew a wetted and JB'd patch, swab bore and re-wet, then do it again. Repeat this a half dozen time and that bore will be shiny clean.

Shooting soft lead .22 bullets impregnated with JB would probably lap the bore to a degree, but the NECO lapping paste would be more effective.
  3. keppler

keppler New Member

I gave the fire lapping a try today. Applied the JB paste to 3 shells and fired those. Then a very good cleaning....very,very good cleaning.
    I do believe it helped. Fired some one hole groups from 50 yards with the Wolf Match Extra. Didn't do it consistently but I figure that may have been my fault. Group size was probably in the 3/4" range on the good side and the worst something like 1 1/4". Sure beats the 2" or 3" that it was shooting. Next time maybe I can do better.