1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Fire starters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bobitis, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

We all have them, and they are all welcome.

I been savin my dryer lint to combine with vaseline. But how do ya store it?

35mm film canisters seem perfect, but I can't find 'em anywhere on line.:(

Any help?
  2. geds

geds New Member

Instead of vaseline, coat the lint with melted parafin wax. Cardboard egg cartons make the perfect mold. It stores, and is mess free!
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  3. trespoe

trespoe New Member

That's the way I made them..

The most difficult part is finding cardboard egg cartons. Most are styrofoam now.
  4. geds

geds New Member

Try toilet paper rolls. Then slice 'em like cookie dough. If you run a wick down the tube, you can use 'em like candles too.
  5. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

I use cotton balls saturated with vaseline, store them in old prescription pill bottles. Have also use the cedar pet bedding, cut toilet paper rolls in about 1" sections, stuff some cedar chips in there and drench with melted wax, kept an old tackle box in the garage full of them for starting the wood stove. Saved up a bunch of dryer lint but we have dogs, and after the first couple times I quit usin them, smelled too dang bad, burnin dog hair is a heck of a stench.
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

for the starter i do the parafin wax too but mix it so it's like wet 1st pass gun cotton .. theres almost more cotton than wax

and make em small so you can start lots of fires , they dont burn long and i tease em out so they last long but with lot's of wick area (cotton ball ) they are hot and will dry and burn wet wood even though small , and i can fit about 20 in a cigar tube that screws on i carry for it in my tinder box)
  7. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I take the shavings from when I cut my firewood and put them in pringles cans. Then I use my sawsall to slice them about 3/4 inch thick. More shavings and less wax. I figured that out last time. My wife saves all her cangle stubs and when she collects enough, we make the fire starters. About half of one on the slabs will start a good fire. We keep a hatchet in the wood box to bust them up with and just have all the pieces I cut in a ziplock.
  8. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Let me add something to add to your fire starting kit. I always add a candle to mine nd here is why, once I get a flame, the first bthing I do it light the candle. It will keep a flame even if your notehr one goes out while trying to get the fire built up. IF your original flame goes out, then you have the candle flame to use from there on till you get a good fire doing. Now that was a trick used way back in the 1700s and I do Rev War re-enactments and well as treks thus a candle is in with all my fire starting kits.
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Fatwood, or rich lighter pine. This is what I use, and it's found naturally all over the world. When I find a stump in the woods, I take it down whole, or in peices I can carry, and bring it home.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatwood
    Because of the flammability of terpene, fatwood is prized for use as kindling in starting fires. It lights quickly even when wet, is very wind resistant, and burns hot enough to light larger pieces of wood. A small piece of fatwood can be used many times to create tinder by shaving small curls and using them to light other larger tinder. In Louisiana "fatwood" is known as "rich lighter" and cut slivers are what is referred to as "kindling" because of the abundance. The pitch-soaked wood produces an oily, sooty smoke, and it is recommended that one should not cook on a fire until all the fatwood has completely burned out. Because of this oily smoke fatwood should not be used for indoor fireplaces. A fatwood pine knot burns hot enough that even one of a smaller size can cause damage to a wood stove and even cause house fires. The smoke produced by "fatwood" is an excellent bug (especially mosquito ) repellent.
  10. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I soak paper in the tub, and then roll them up tight and rubber band them. They make nice fire logs
  11. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

You guys are clueless.........;)

If you really want to start a fire--------------------->

Call your wife fat...............:lmao2:
  12. Capt Mac Turk

Capt Mac Turk New Member

So Fla-- NO place to Shoot AKA "TFF" Posting Clo

Now :yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat:
    Thats F U N N Y !!! :yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat::yeahthat: :thumbsup:
  13. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Starting a fire and committing suicide iare2 different topics!!!! My wife is a chef so she uses fire all day long. I bet if I called her fat she would start a fire under my fat arse and roast me alive!

Now is stuck out in the cold with just her and I, I MIGHT say something lie that to "warm" her up so as to keep me warm!;)
  14. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

Just buy a magnesium fire starter kit.Online or a local camping store.Those other methods sound unsafe.You just scrape off some metal flakes with a piece of hack-saw blade in the kit then strike the flint and the metal saw dust ignites.Wha-la instant fire.
  15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

you said start a fire not wake up with a knife in ya ...