Fire starters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bobitis, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Fire starter straws

Here is what you need:
    Cotton balls
    Dryer lint
    Petroleum jelly
    Straws
    Pliers
    Lighter
    Bobbie-pin
    Ziploc bag

Here is what you do:
    1) Place cotton balls, dryer lint, and jelly in ziploc bag (pull the cotton balls apart before putting them in the bag). Close bag, squeeze-squish-squeeze-squish until the material is saturated with jelly.

2) Cut straws into 2" sections. Hold one end closed with the pliers, leaving about an 1/8" exposed. Melt the 1/8" section with the lighter, and flatten against pliers with the lighter shroud.

3) Pull material from bag, and roll into long thin cylinder shape, feed into straw, compact with bobby-pin until 1/4" from end. Melt open end in the same manner you melted the other end.

To Light:
    Cut fire starter in half, pull out material, fray so you have a larger surface area, use fire steel or anything that throws a spark to shower the material with sparks. It will catch fire very easily.

Small, neat, no mess, easy to store.
  2. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Yep.

I learned how to do that a long time ago. I'm sure I could repeat the process if I had to. I bought a magnesium anode for a water heater at work. It's 3/4" diameter and 30" long, so I cut into 3 pcs. It's harder than the store bought things, but it does work

Great idea Grump. More work than I care to invest though.:eek: