Fire starters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bobitis, Dec 8, 2011.

1. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Still looking for some?
  2. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Get some of those paper cups they use in fast food joints to put ketchup in. They come in different sizes. Or you could always use the small bathroom dixie cups.

Ooops, I meant for this to be used with the wax and wood shaving fire starters.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I get my film canisters from the local photo shop. The only problem with that is they always want me to take the WHOLE BOX! :D

Pops
  4. geds

geds New Member

Film canisters are great for putting matches in to keep them dry and for putting seasoning in from which to use in cooking. Not the best for fire starters - use any of the wax starters and you don't have to worry about keeping them dry.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I have several hundred of the film canisters. I use them for deer hunting. Put some cotton balls in one, add in your favorite deer actractant, and snap the lid closed. When you are ready to hunt, just open them, and throw them on the ground, or hang them from a tree limb.

What will you use to start a fire when you run out of candles, dryer lint, magnesium fire starters, or what ever? Do you know how to make a fire by friction? If you think you do know how, then get out there, and make one. Once you have finally succeeded in making that first fire, you will understand that you need to make a bunch more to get the toques down to a degree that you can actually do it in a survival situation. Good Luck, and have fun!
  6. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Fire starter straws

Here is what you need:
    Cotton balls
    Dryer lint
    Petroleum jelly
    Straws
    Pliers
    Lighter
    Bobbie-pin
    Ziploc bag

Here is what you do:
    1) Place cotton balls, dryer lint, and jelly in ziploc bag (pull the cotton balls apart before putting them in the bag). Close bag, squeeze-squish-squeeze-squish until the material is saturated with jelly.

2) Cut straws into 2" sections. Hold one end closed with the pliers, leaving about an 1/8" exposed. Melt the 1/8" section with the lighter, and flatten against pliers with the lighter shroud.

3) Pull material from bag, and roll into long thin cylinder shape, feed into straw, compact with bobby-pin until 1/4" from end. Melt open end in the same manner you melted the other end.

To Light:
    Cut fire starter in half, pull out material, fray so you have a larger surface area, use fire steel or anything that throws a spark to shower the material with sparks. It will catch fire very easily.

Small, neat, no mess, easy to store.
  7. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Yep.

I learned how to do that a long time ago. I'm sure I could repeat the process if I had to. I bought a magnesium anode for a water heater at work. It's 3/4" diameter and 30" long, so I cut into 3 pcs. It's harder than the store bought things, but it does work

Great idea Grump. More work than I care to invest though.:eek: