firearm question.

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by dbrown1997, Oct 4, 2011.

1. dbrown1997

dbrown1997 New Member

Okay i'm 14 and from illinois i was wondering if i was walking out to my friends house in the country could i put the rifle or pistol into a lock case and take it with me?
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. geds

geds New Member

I don't know the specific legalities in your state - I will leave that for others to answer. But, I do have concerns as to why you would want to store a gun for someone else. If the gun was used in a crime and you are storing it, you could be drug into the prosecution and be liable for aiding and abetting. Even if cleared, it could cost you and/or your parents significant legal $ to clear you.
  3. dbrown1997

dbrown1997 New Member

4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Different states have different laws, so your best bet would be to ask this question of your town's DA or State's Attorney, or whatever they call 'em in Illinois.

I do know that, the way your phrased the question - "if I got my friend to buy a gun" - that would be a straw purchase. Someone that can legally buy a gun buying one for someone that cannot legally buy a gun. Federal felony.
  5. dbrown1997

dbrown1997 New Member

6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

There we go. Your second post explained it. You give him money to buy you a gun because you are not old enough to buy it yourself.

Straw purchase. Federal felony. Both of you. When you are through serving your sentence you will never again be able to legally even touch a gun, let along own one.

Bad, BAD idea.
  7. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Thats defined by the DOJ as a straw purchase, I wouldn't get involved in that mess. However a parent could give the gun to you as a gift, but I don't think that you would be able to transport it. I definitely wouldn't try it with a pistol.
  8. dbrown1997

dbrown1997 New Member

is it legal to borrow a gun from your friend for time at the range from or shooting at a friends house?
  9. dbrown1997

dbrown1997 New Member

how would that work?
  10. dbrown1997

dbrown1997 New Member

and also does it have to be a parent that gifts it or anyone?
  11. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I'm with Alpo.

Were it your parents making the purchase as a gift for you, you may be in the clear. Your scenario is a clear violation.
  12. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Check your local laws. None of us are competent (or foolish) enough to give out legal advice. You'll need to check yourself.

I bought my son his 1st rifle at 16. For his graduation, I got him his 1st pistol. Both completely legal. He couldn't carry the pistol, but it was legal to own it.

But, I'm not in Mishigan.
  13. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

If you are wanting to go shoot your gun out on the country with your buddy. I would suggest you just pack it up (gun and ammo separate) and ask your parents to drive you out there. Walking would open all these different possibilities of problems.....legal issues, getting mugged, etc.
  14. Capt Mac Turk

Capt Mac Turk New Member

So Fla-- NO place to Shoot AKA "TFF" Posting Clo
    Well my Question is why dont you ask Your Parents 2 buy it 4 you?

Tell you what if I did what your asking when I was your age (My old Man woulda kicked my Azz up one side of the street & down the other!) :D :D :D

TALK 2 your FOLKS!!!
  15. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds like he doesnt want to ask the folks. Am I wrong?
  16. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Things that make ya go hmmm...

Dad bought us ours, we bought for our kids...
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2011
  17. H-D

H-D Active Member

if you want a gun get your parents to buy it and keep in in their name until you reach your local legal age , if you want to go shoot a gun make sure to have a responsible adult with you at all times, I do not think a person under 18 is legally allowed to transport a firearm without an adult present if in doubt contact the BATFE http://www.atf.gov/contact/
  18. Capt Mac Turk

Capt Mac Turk New Member

So Fla-- NO place to Shoot AKA "TFF" Posting Clo
    Thats what I thought also D D

My Pops gave me my first 22 @ age 12 soon after for my Christmas presents :D my first 4-10 shotgun & my 22 pistol in the other threads!

You MUST PROVE to your FOLKS your RESPONSABLE enuff 2 be handeling a Firearm!

AGREE Great Info!

Mac
  19. dbrown1997

dbrown1997 New Member

no its just that every time i ask my dad to get his foid card he says he will do it next week and thats been going on for two years also he doesnt like pistol or and anything thats not a rifle or a shotgun and since i want to get a wasr-10 or a yugo m70 thats means my dad probably wont buy what i would think is a nice gift.
  20. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Do you have a lot of money for a 14 year old? I just ask because shooting 7.62x39 costs about 4-5 times as much as shooting .22 LR. There are a few different companies that make AK-pattern rifles in the .22 LR; perhaps this would be a good compromise between what you want and what your parents would be happy with.

That said, since your father does not have a FOID card (and hasn't for at least the last two years), it seems likely that he's not terribly familiar with safe gun handling. You may get better results quicker by asking him if you (or the two of you) can take a hunter safety or gun safety class. Showing an interest in doing things the safe way will get you a gun much quicker than will constantly pestering him about the FOID card.