Firearm Specialties 45-70 Dragoon & 1860 Army

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by bprevolver, Mar 27, 2009.

1. bprevolver

bprevolver New Member

I have just purchased a replica 1860 Army percussion revolver made by Firearm Specialties in Fulton, MI. They made a Dragoon also which was chambered for 45-70 cartridges and the 1860 Army percussion revolver. These were made in the early 1960's. Has anyone ever heard of this company? My 1860 is marked "Firearm Specialties". Interesting also is that the barrel wedge is fitted from right side instead of the left side. This was probably to easily distinguish it from an original since there was a big scare in the early 1960's about converting replicas to pass as originals. L. A. Jensen of Lake City, FL., the very first replica percussion revolver to be manufactured, made his Spiller & Burr reproduction in .44cal. for the same reason.

Would very much appreciate any information anyone may have about this firearm. I do not even know the name of the person who made these, just a company name.
  2. quegbeau

quegbeau New Member

it is probably chambered for 45 long colt. so don't shoot a 45/70 in it unless it has been checked by a gun smith. yes the company has been around for a while and you can goggle it to find the company.
  3. bprevolver

bprevolver New Member

My interest is in the 1860 Army .44cal. percussion revolver. The 45-70 is 45-70. It looks more like an oversized, distorted Remington New Model Army. The 45-70 was eventually acquired by Century Arms and supposedly manufactured in the early 1970's.
  4. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

The company themselves makes fine replicas. They got their start making replicas of these old revolvers. As far as being chambered for the 45-70 i believe that the early ones were made on request of special order. I have a couple of the replicas made by this company and though I have never fired one I know a few who has and they seem to love them. But as I said I believe that this was a special order size for the firearm you have. As far as the barrel wedge I am not sure. I will make a call to a guy who does re-enactments and ask and see what his take on that is.