Firearms 101

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RustyShackleford, Jun 22, 2012.

1. RustyShackleford

RustyShackleford New Member

Hello all. First post here.

I've finally gotten to the point in life where I have my own place and support myself, and now have a little cash for a little something something. I've always wanted to own a gun but issues such as money and residency had so far prevented me from getting into it.

Now that i can, where should I start? Should i check out the local gun club/shooting range or something? Is there a good firearms 101 type website that you can recommend? I'd say I have around $500 to a grand to blow.

Currently I guess I'm just reading up on hand gun safety certificate stuff and other guides and such. Also I live in California if that matters. The only experience I really have is shooting .22s and some handguns with my dad when i was little.

Where do I start? Maybe you get threads like these all the time, and if this is posted in the wrong forum then I apologize but I can't seem to find a good source for beginner info by just googling.

Appreciate any help.
  2. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Welcome. You're on the right track by coming here and asking, lots of great folks here. Finding a range that has rentals is a good way to start. You may find one that has a firearms safety course for a small fee.
    With that much cash available you'll be able to get yourself a quality firearm.

Rule #1 - THE GUN IS ALWAYS LOADED
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Welcome aboard Rusty! It would be a good idea to find a range that rents guns, and try a few. My first thought is what do you want a gun for? Do you want a SD (self defense) gun? If so do you want a handgun, or a long gun? Do you want the gun to serve more than one purpose, such as SD, and hunting? That will help you narrow down what type of gun you need.
  4. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Welcome aboard Rusty. The first thing you should invest in is a one way ticket to another state (just kidding....kinda). :D Hey wait a minute, are you sure you're Rusty Shackleford? I thought you lived in Texas.:D
  5. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

Hey Dale, I mean Rusty. Whats the gun gonna be used for? SD, plinking, hunting, concealed carry. Oh wait, never mind the last one, you live in the liberal capital of Cali. :D
  6. 2000ShadowACE

2000ShadowACE Member

Try as many as you can and get the one you are most comfortable with. It will make you happy for many years.
  7. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

If you are not familiar with firearms, I suggest you take some safety classes
    which any decent range or gun store can hook you up with.
    There are classes from beginners to well advanced, so don't read this as a
    'newbie' slam on you to any degree. Just go check out what they offer and
    do what is comfortable for you. Most any of them will be good and informative.
    Rent some guns and shoot them before you make any decision of what to buy.
    You will be happy you did. The ranges/rental folks will also help you with loads of info[provided they are not super busy at the time] if you will just be honest with them.
    But, for starters, you are already in the right place to begin. There is already tons of information within this forum, most likely more than you will ever have time to read.
    BTW, Welcome to TFF

Attached Files:

8. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

this is a great website to be on.

i'd hit some clubs, shows and shops.. find a range that rents guns if they have those in your area.. shhot a few.. decide what basic style of gun you want.

long gun or pistol. if long.. rifle or shotgun, or combo.. or long gun in pistol caliber.

or.. revolver or semi auto.

keep narrowing it down.

with 1k to blow.. you could get both a long and short gun of medium +/- quality.. or a higher quality of either...
  9. RustyShackleford

RustyShackleford New Member

ha, well at least the SF/cali jokes I expected. Thanks for all the welcomes by the way. And I don't mind being called a noob 'cause, well, I am.

I guess I'm looking for something to plink with, both at ranges and for instance when camping, but something that'd also be a solid (home) self-defense piece (but not concealed carry, not that the option is available to me anyway). For now I'm thinking just a handgun, long guns later. Also, the $1,000 I mentioned is more like an absolute upper limit. If I can get something good for cheap, then great, but what I'm saying is that I'm not trying to just buy any shoddy piece just so that I have one. I also intend for the $1,000 to include classes/certification, though from what I've found that should only be like a hundred bucks, couple hundred max even with more advanced classes.

Anyway, thanks again.
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    If I was limited to only one gun, a hand gun, it would have to be the biggest bullet, and the most in the cylinder/magazine. Yes it would be a little more expensive to plink with, but for SD you want to able to stop a threat with as few shots as possible.
  11. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Rusty.....google Bersa guns.....[Bud's gun shop.....]
    I don't know what is <legal> in CA these days.....
    But if a Bersa is......[Firestorm guns are the same]
    Very dependable and made well for the $$$$$$
    You can get a .22 or a .380.......(OR BOTH for under $600)
    Or a 9mm.....[Or Ruger MarkIII]That's if you want a semi-auto
    If it's a revolver, Ruger Single-Six or Single Ten, S&W Model 63(pricey)
    .22lr for plinking, camping, etc. and If you got a Ruger Single-Six Convertible you have the .22WMR (Magnum) cylinder as well.
    Most people have many arms.....two reasons....one size don't fit all (purposes) and they are addicted to having more......welcome to the addiction.
  12. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

There is a fellow from TX on another forum that calls himself Rusty Shackleford
  13. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

For what you are looking for I think a K frame S&W .38 +P with at least a 4" barrel might be a good start. A quality revolver with enough range to hone your skills, powerful enough for self defense, relatively affordable ammunition, and a lot of used ones in vg condition available in the $300.00 -350.00 range.
  14. Model195Fan

Model195Fan Member

Gil Hebard's Pistol Shooter's Treasury is old, leans slightly towards bullseye shooting, but is an excellent collection of several views on the basics. Also Massad Ayoob's In the Gravest Extreme. And, of course, the internet.
  15. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

hey fellas.. would I be being too mean if I sugested he get a COP 357 derrenger?

4 powerfull shots of 357 or lighter 38, plus when empty he can use the gun as a hand weapon or hammer?

soundguy
  16. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Well, you have narrowed it down to handgun, please narrow it down a bit farther.
    Semi-auto or revolver?

And welcome to The Firearms Forum.
  17. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

Just my 2 pennies. I'd go 357. You can shoot the cheaper 38spl ammo through it for plinking. And use the 357 rounds for HD.
  18. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Then the old guy steps in and says you are all wrong.

First gun get a bolt action 22 rifle, not semi auto and not a handgun and not a centerfire. efore you do anything learning to shoot is the firtst step and you need three things for that, a nice easy to handle gun and coaching and a lot of ammo, lots and lots of ammo and trigger time. A semi auto is to easy to get carried away with the largest volume of lead in the shortest amount of time syndrome, even us old guys catch it but a bolt action will make you stop and think with every shot. You don't get a quick second or third or fifth shot just by yanking hard and fast on the trigger. Instead you squeeze that little thing and make a single good shot.

Make and model of the gun is less important than how it feels in your hands, if it makes you smile and it fits you then chances are it will be just right, most 22's shoot better out of the box than most people can shoot so don't get caught up in the hype that you need a tactical looking gun with all the bolt on gizmos.

Gun with iron sights, cleaning kit, a few thousand rounds of 22 long rifle 40 grain solids, a range, a big box of targets. Then get the basics of gun maintenance, safety and marksmanship. When you learn to shoot then think about stepping up in caliber and/or handguns. Everything you learn with the mouse gun will apply to every gun you get after that and if you get good first you will get good quicker when you move up in power.

COP derringer??? soundguy you oughta be ashamed of yourself. We don't want to turn the guy off of shooting with his first shot, goodness gracious such a suggestion, go to your room.
  19. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

A nice 4" 357 is the best for all the needs you are suggesting. 357 loads for HD & 38's for plinking and target. I bought this one for $350 which would leave you $650 more for ammo. A first handgun owner cannot go wrong with a revolver.

[​IMG]
  20. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

YEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!