Firearms And Felons

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by johnlives4christ, Sep 6, 2010.

1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i have a cousin that is a felon.

1 if i was to go visit him, would it be legal for me to carry my gun into his house? the gun would not leave my person.

there was mention of going to his house, where he lives with his mother, he was not there at the time, but i was told i couldnt bring my gun because they were told that they couldnt have any in the house.

2also, what if he was to come visit me? i have guns everywhere.

3 would it be illegal for him to go shooting with me where the only time he would have access to the gun would be at the firing line?

4 i have heard somewhere that if a felon is living in a house, then no one in the house can have a firearm there. so if my cousin needed a place to stay for a while, he could not sleep on my couch unless i removed all the guns from the house?
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I know the answer to #3 is yes, because, as a convicted felon he cannot possess a gun. That means he cannot have it in his hot little hand. So, yes, it'd be illegal to take him shooting. It would be legal, as far as I know, for him to go watch you shoot, but it would be hard to prove he didn't handle a gun, when he went to trial for "felon in possession".
  3. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    Certainly not worth your going to jail over. If he's a convicted felon, he's not supposed to be around ANYTHING illegal. That's just about everything except Sunday school for him. Too bad, he can't even vote!. To be sure check with your local LEOs for the real deal of what he can and can't do. Stay safe and out of jail. TJ
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Part of CCW is to leave your weapon in your car if the person that owns the house requests that you not bring it in. Respect that even if you don't agree and you are legal to carry. Also it is to not announce to everyone that you are carrying so how does she know you were carrying anyway?
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  5. johnlives4christ

most of the time i do respect a persons wishes for me to carry, most of the time i dont respect a business wishes though since it is not illegal for me to carry anyway.

everyone knows i carry a gun, i've been carrying guns of some sort or another since i was 18. and conceal carrying since i was 24. most of the time i openly carry though unless i know the people i am around are going to have problems with it.

but per my aunt, at the time that me carrying was in question, it was christmas time and my aunt asked my mom to invite us. so she did. she said my aunt said we had to come (kinda joking ya know?). i told momma to tell my Irma (my aunt) that i'd come but i wouldnt come without my gun.

i know some of my family is okay with me carrying a firearm on my person, but i was not sure what Irma thought, so i used it as a good time to ask. and at the time, i did not have a gun i could conceal so i would have to open carry. i dont remember what i had at the time though. i wouldnt have asked if i would have had an easily concealable firearm.

since she said no because of my cousin, who wasn't even there since he was in prison, i assumed she was using it as an excuse to disarm me. (all of my family with the exception of uncle George/Aunt Clara do not see any reason for me to carry a firearm and dont approve). i've been wondering though if that really was the law though or just her excuse.

i do plan to go around my cousin at least at family gatherings when he's out. i do not plan to take him shooting though.

and i did not attend the party since my general theory is that if my family dont accept that i carry a gun constantly then they dont accept me.
  6. wpage

wpage Active Member

Wouldn't your state firarms laws be posted somewhere...
  7. johnlives4christ

this would not be a state law, it would be federal.

i have never been able to find out what the federal laws on firearms are.

when i took my ccw class, along with the state rules it said "and any other federal firearms laws" and i asked what those were, no one could answer.

as far as the state laws, i asked the sheriffs office a few questions, and learned some online. nobody here knows its legal to open carry, and other than one or 2 other people, i dont know anyone that does it.

it seems that those that know the law, dont want you to do what's legal so they try to cover up a matter in hopes you'll just play it safe.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    If you lived in TX, or LA, John, the answer to all three of your questions is "NO". Felons can not be in the presence of hand gun, plain, and simple. I don't tell folks that I'm armed, I just carry concealed. Sometimes it's no more than my NAA revolver in .22mag. In LA, the law says it's legal to open carry. Most folks don't know about this law, because no one open carries, and there is a reason for that. If you do open carry, and someone calls the cops, you go to jail for disturbing the peace. Some open carry law huh. My advice is to always CYA. The folks I know that are convicted felons all know that I own guns, when they come to my house I remind them of this, and they don't come real often. Since I shoot on my own property, what the law don't know won't hurt them.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  9. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I see what your saying John. You believe this is her way of pushing her views on you by not allowing you to carry in her house. Agenda or not, its still her house. Plus she does have a son who is a convicted felon so that's a double whammy. I wouldn't t push the issue. If your going over there, leave it in the car. My sister is 100% terrified of guns. She knows that I carry but at her house I don't. Her house, her feelings, her rules.
  10. johnlives4christ

11. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

1 and 2 I would say would not be illegal unless he was in possession of the weapon. 3 would be illegal as he would be in possession of a weapon. I would honestly consult a lawyer. Because I do not know if the law says he can't have "access" rather than "possess" a gun.
  12. johnlives4christ

well that would be common sense hogger.. and we know those in power have non of that