firearms choices for shtf situation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by john riley, Nov 24, 2006.

1. john riley

john riley New Member

While paticipating in a recent thread about grab and go kits for a tshtf situation some one asked what firearms you would bring in such a situation I was wondering what your thoughts were here are my choices in an ideal world (although in a in an ideal world a shtf sit. wouldn't happen) A marlin leveraction carbine in .357magnum A ruger gp-100 w/ a 4 inch barrel of the same caliber (as it allows sharing of ammo) these two would be adequate for 2 legged predators as well as attaining medium to large game such as deer. I would also bring with me my handi- rifle parner combo in .22lr and 20 gauge this would provide mw with all of my small game needs All 3 cartridges are common and easy to attain. what are your thoughts???
  2. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT New Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    My AK-47

My 1911

My CZ .204 for "food gathering" .....:D
  3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

John

If I had to hit the door running, although through conversation you know thats the last thing I want to do, I'd grab the Load Bearing vest which is equiped with some good reliable mags for the AR-15 and a few other things including quality mags for the .45, so of course I'd be taking the .45 as well...Are their better choices? I have no doubt that there are, but this would have to do for me. I think that the .223 is a darn sutable "middle of the road" caliber for medium sized game and may even leave a little meat on a squirrel if it came down to it, of course shot placement and projectile selection would be key, but I believe it would double as a sutable fighting rifle as well, some call it underpowered and I agree to some extent, but I also know that there aren't many other single calibers that would fill both needs, add to that the fact that I've SEEN this caliber at work, it will penetrate both sides of a military helmet with all the liners in place at 100 yards and keep singing along out the back side...Good enough for me as my AO is heavily wooded and I dont see myself taking alot of 200 - 300 yard shots anyway, I mean ya just dont see that far in most places and if you do it's just a matter of learning a little stealth.

The .45 is tried and true not only as a caliber, but the one I own is one that I've spent alot of time with, I handload all the ammo that goes through it and "preload" every round to make sure it will feed properly when it is called on, I'm not getting one hole groups with it yet, but I've done a little work on it in an attempt to pull those groups together...Bottom line is, I'd stake my life on it against a mad hog any day...And may just have to.

Crpdeth

Attached Files:

4. blackhawkkid308

blackhawkkid308 New Member

an m14/m1a in 308
    an ar15 in 223
    a 1911 in 45acp
    one of my 12 gauge shotguns
    a 629 smith 4in 44
    my ruger 10-22 target
    with this setup i can do just about anything but if i could only have 3 it would be!
    m14/m1a
    1911 45acp
    shotgun
    bhk308
  5. berto64

berto64 Active Member

22 RF Rifle One Pump...One semiauto.

1911 pistol...because that is what I have the most of.

Military KBar knife
  6. Assuming I had at least a few minutes to prepare, I think my choices would likely be:

1. Pump action, 12 gauge shotgun, most likely a Remington 870.
    2. A good .22 rifle, probably a Ruger 10/22.
    3. Two heavier caliber rifles, likely a scoped 30-06 and a 94 Winchester or 336 Marlin in 30-30 with open sights. I would also include a .223 if possible.
    4. Two handguns, one a 1911 .45--or alternately, a Beretta 92 in 9mm--and the other a revolver, most likely in .357 mag.

One basic theme I would wish to concentrate on is the likely availability of ammo for any weapons I chose to include. Obviously, I would try to take plenty, but at some point, the supply could run out, thus calibers that are common here in the U.S.
  7. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Lets assume we are actually "carrying" this gear. I support the original list with the pair of 357's. I'd swap the 20Ga BBL for a 12. Two reasons - in America 12Ga ammo is more plentiful than 20, and it just plain hits harder.

If I had to run by my safe and grab what I could carry it would be a 1911, a 12Ga, and a .308 bolt gun on a sling. The 12 is for when they get to name time and place. The 308 is when I get to. The 1911 is just cuz you never know.
  8. ironsight65

ironsight65 New Member

Assuming time is critcal and everything must be carried, I would grab my
    Bushmaster M4, Kimber 1911, and Glock 17. I could carry a lot of ammo for
    the AR15 and 9mm and enough 45 acp to use for a primary self defense
    sidearm.
  9. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

MY
    Henry lever action .22
    and my Xd-45acp
    both of them with as much ammo as I can pack in a bookbag or duffel bag
  10. BobMcG

BobMcG Active Member Supporting Member

If there was precious little time and I was going to be carrying and pretty much on the go at least initially, my grabs (aside from the .40 S&W already on my person) would be my AK-47 and .357 from the safe and a generous amount of mags, speed loaders and ammo. I also keep a vest and emergency hydro/filter and pack combo loaded, close by and ready to go into the field at all times.
  11. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

I'd drop my .40 and grab both of my .357's. Take my 21" bbl 870 Remington 12ga and my FN/FAL. That's from the point of view of the rapid deployment, forage and survive option.

Under normal circumstances; I would fall back on my rural IRP. I keep a set of hand-crank equipment operable there and have a more than adequate supply of whoop-a$$. Having somewhere to run to is the question I would put to anyone thinking about flying poo. I made my dugout for the sole purpose of digging in and I put it in a place where the area around my rock is viable for survival.
  12. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I ain't running whit that said I think I may be able to hold off a small army for a week or two the wife loading and me shooting. If we did leave the wife would carry the 357mag revolver and lever combo I would carry the same in 44 mag the wife an AR 15 and me a SKS but what would I do with 2,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 pounds of dried beans:eek: :D :D :D
  13. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Beans = WMD. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Or a bubble bath in a secluded stream . ;)
  14. southernshooter

15. HiPowerKid

HiPowerKid New Member

Two sextillion pounds of dried beans @ what, half-pound of dried beans per can yielding 64.5 farts per can ? I think somebody better call the EPA. Your house could be a new Superfund site for the county. You could apply for a grant, get gobs of government money, then buy the place in Idaho and stock it with a million pounds of ammo. Just imagine the possibilities !:D
  16. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Ed Zachary! :D
  17. southernshooter

Put a dome over his house and we just got a new methane gas refinery:D
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  18. ueckhaus1

ueckhaus1 New Member

If the S that HTF was from the catbox or East, then something in an AK might be a good idea. That way I can scavange ammo from the lost.

Otherwise, if the S that's H'ingTF are wearing powder blue helmets or crossing the Rio Grande, I'd feel confident with my Bushmaster AR, my Kimber & Springfield 45's (they're such close friends I'd hate to split them up), and my Mossy M590 12ga.

Of course I'd need two men and a boy to carry the ammo!!!

Glenn
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  19. charagrin

charagrin Former Guest

No offense guys but if the sh#@ hits the fan you will be screwed. Think about it. Something like "Ill grab my AR-!%, 30-30, .308 bolt, .357 mag, .45 1911 and on and on" wont work. You wont be moving very fast with 50 pounds of equipment, firearms, and ammo will you?

That said I would grab My Henry .22. Light dependable, fairly accurate, and there will be ammo everywhere. Id also grab some survival gear. Unlike the rest of you, I wont be looking for a fight.
  20. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

well, I have my shtf pack ready, so in addition I would grab my springfield xd40, my mossberg590 w/bayonet and my bushym4 or my AK-47