Firearms International Regent .22 Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by J.Franklin, Jun 13, 2008.

1. J.Franklin

J.Franklin New Member

Wonder if anyone knows anything about this pistol? Good bad or indifferent...
    Pics attached...
    thanks...

Attached Files:

2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Imported from Italy starting in 1961. These were cheap revolvers that sold for $35.99.
  3. tenbears

tenbears New Member

Wow! I haven't seen one of these in 35 years.
  4. J.Franklin

J.Franklin New Member

Hmmm...maybe a different revolver, this one has Made in U.S.A. on it...pic attached

Attached Files:

5. rvrrat

rvrrat New Member

I have the same exact revolver. cant figure out how to break it down for cleaning
  6. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Firearms International Corporation, Wahington 22, D.C. (in the days before zip codes), was very active as a both an importer & a manufacturer of firearms in the 1960's up through the implementation of the GCA.

They produced, for example, the skeletonized survival rifle/shotgun that later became the Garcia Bronco. They also imported the Astra Cub from Spain. Whwn bringing those in was prohibited, they reputedly later made the American version of this gun, the Colt Junior. While theoretically possible (Colt did, after all, eadlier import a differently marked & stocked Cub as this gun), I've never been able to verify that tale. Maybe a Colt aficionado can comment on that.

As to the revolver at hand, I would note that the plastic grips look just like those used by High Standard & copied by Arminius (Germany), for whatever that's worth.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  7. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

After the 1968 gun control ban which stopped the importation of certain type of firearms, several outfits tried to get around the law by importing parts, all the parts and assembling them, presto , the same firearm, except now it has " Made in US" stamped on the side. The original Regent is German made by Rohm or Weibrauch. A Rose by any other name is still a........
  8. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

The GCA '68 banned the importation of RECEIVERS of guns that did not meet import criteria. All other parts could be imported. Consequently, receivers were made here, thus the "Made in USA."
  9. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Which is why you will run into RG-10;s that are maked "Made in the US".
  10. Al Sutlick

Al Sutlick New Member

I purchased a Regent 8-round 22 LR revolver back in 1963, while I was in the
    navy stationed in WA state. It was the first handgun of any type that I
    acquired. It was manufactured in what was then West Germany. Can't
    remember what I paid for it new, but it wasn't very much. I didn't keep it
    for very long, before I traded it in for something better. When I would go out
    plinking, I'd take a carton of 500 rounds with me and shoot a sizeable portion
    of it. I couldn't fire more than a couple of hundred rounds, before I'd have to
    stop shooting, to clean the gun. The forcing cone would always shave the
    lead, resulting in a significant buildup of lead in the forcing cone which in
    turn would eventually prevent cylinder rotation. Went back to the same
    gun shop where I purchased it and traded it in on a Smith & Wesson K-22
    Masterpiece (Model 17) which I still have to this day. The K-22 hasn't
    missed a beat. Paid something like $82 for it, new.
  11. jondar

jondar New Member

It was one of the few handguns that passed the rigorous "Saturday Night Special" test, 5000 rounds with no breakdown, in 1979 at the request of the U. S. Senate. A couple of Rohms also passed. These Regents are held together by pins and are a bear to work on. Not recommended that you completely disassemble them.