Firearms with a history

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by TranterUK, May 22, 2008.

1. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I have always enjoyed firearms with a history, or mystery.
    In particular a couple of Browning Hi Powers.
    The first was made in German occupied Belgium in 1943, when the factory was under temporary new management. It has various inspection stamps that suggest a busy, interesting life. It was among the first where the Germans binned the tangent rear sight and mag safety (both excellent ideas).
    The second was made 1953-4 in a contract with the FN factory for British 'special' use, including MI5. The mag safety has been removed and a serious trigger job done, with internal modifications. There are no government marks, just a small stamp with the name of (what was then) an East German town. Mr Bond's handgun perhaps? :cool:

Does anyone else on the Forum have Firearms with an interesting history, or mystery?
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2008
  2. 17thfabn

17thfabn Member

My Firearm with a history

Tranter, I have a Lee Enfield No. 4 built by Savage in 1943. I love the history of my rifle. It was built under lend lease for the British and is stamped U.S. Propety. I would love to know where this rifle was used.
  3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Re: My Firearm with a history

Yes, WW2 and WW1 Enfields can be really interesting. Long ago when cleaning WW1 SMLEs we would sometimes find small hand written notes stuffed in the butt trap. Some said good bye. :(

If you can give me the description of any markings or stamps I may be able to give you more information. In particular look on the rear steel band, under the bolt handle. Also any stamps on the stock.
  4. I have a couple of Swiss K-31 rifles, one of which had the tag with the name of the original soldier to whom it was issued. Also a Mauser K-98 with the Nazi proof markings. I also own several Mosin-Nagants, 91/30s, 38s, and 44s. I have no idea of their specific histories though.
  5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Pistol, I shoot a K98 with Nazi acceptance markings. It was re-barreled in 7.62x51 by the Israelis and has several Star of David and Hebrew markings. Talk about justice? :D
  6. Indeed, Tranter. ;) I have always found it the height of irony that after the Second World War, when the State of Israel was just coming into being, the Israeli Sabras used countless German K-98s smuggled into Palestine--not to mention British Stens, Brens, and Enfields--to fight the British occupiers of the Mandate, as well as the Arabs. History contains so many such ironies, which is one thing that makes it so fascinating.
  7. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Yes firearms more than perhaps any other items seem to travel and change owners, often with ironic results such as Nazi weapons in early Israel. The marks and stamps on firearms can often tell some if not all of the story. You just have to know what to look for.

I once had a percussion Remington New Model army revolver. Using the serial number I traced it to a regiment based in California of all places. They seemed to have spent some of the war chasing native americans.

I still have an Nazi/ Israeli marked DZ37 HMG, made in Czechoslovakia for the Germans in WW2. Then made by me into a coffee table! :)
  8. Here in the US, Tranter, it is possible to obtain what is known as a Type 03 Federal Firearms License, commonly referred to as a C&R (for Curio and Relic). With that in hand, one may purchase certain military and civilian firearms the Bureau of Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives has designated as "curios and relics" without the necessity of going through the normal paperwork to purchase a firearm; i.e., one may purchase them directly from the distributor. The general rule here is that a firearm over 50 years old is designated as a curio and relic, though there are some exceptions to that, including, of course, all fully automatic weapons. The license is not difficult to get assuming one has a clean record, and costs only $30.00 for three years. I have such a license and have purchased all of my military firearms--Mausers, Mosins, Enfields, etc. using it.
  9. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Oh why oh why am I living here? :mad:
  10. Because of the good beer and the tea and crumpets, perhaps? :D;):p
  11. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

It's a point pistol, though it's 02.05 here and I cant sleep, which may have somthing to do with it.
  12. Dakota Red 1

Dakota Red 1 New Member

There is a decent firearms collection at the Boothill Museum in Dodge City, Kansas. When I worked there, I loved to prowl the shelves in storage. We had a few old revolvers that were tagged "found on the prairie." No doubt they had a story.

One possibility is the cowboy belief that iron attracted lightning. There are stories of them tossing everything but their horse's bit when caught in a thunderstorm. We are now in the season of the big convection storms. Pistol can look east and I can look west and we can both see the same anvil-headed storm cloud rising up 30,000 feet, even though we are hundreds of miles appart. They are a right terror to be caught under with no shelter. My worst time was at an army training area on the "Picketwire" River just off the Mountain Fork of the old Santa Fe Trail. All we could do was crouch in a shallow gully and see if the lightning or a flash flood would get us first. I can see some waddy shucking his six-shooter in a stampede when St. Elmo's Fire is dancing along the horns of the cattle.

There were many other old shooting irons at the museum that had seen hard use on the frontier. The collection was started by "Dog" Kelley, a saloon owner and mayor who was contemporary to the Texas cattle era at Dodge.
  13. artabr

artabr New Member

My rifle with a history is a Danish Madsen Md.1947. s.s.# 11xx-58. It was one of 6,500 made for the Colombian navy. It was made in 1958. It looks like it was made yesterday. I've put more wear on it than the Colombian navy.

What is so neat about these rifles are the features, rubber recoil pad, muzzle brake, a great peep type sight system that is height and windage adjustable. It is built on a Mannlicher type split-bridge receiver chambered in .30-06. It is very accurate.

The Madsen Model 1947 was the last bolt action rifle designed and manufactured for standard military service. This doesn't count special purpose (sniper) rifles.

Art
    Last edited: May 24, 2008
  14. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Actually Tranter, with the CRFFL we can even own and purchase through "normal" channels even fully functional full automatic weapons, artillery pieces and AT and AA guns as long as they are on the CR List the government supplies us with, were previously registered and pay the $200 transfer "tax" on each one, and comply with all other NFA 1934 rules.....

For instance, all of the weapons on a WWII era M4 Tank, including EITHER the 75 or 76mm guns, the M2s, and the various M1919s, plus all the individual weapons that might be correct inside, from the .45 pistols through the grease gun, would all be CRs....and most of the British stuff from WWII is CR as well...along with every other participants weapons

Although I would love a nice M1917 75mm howitzer to display on the front lawn, I haven't figured out the "normal channels" yet...like does UPS Big Brown Truck TOW it down the road to me?:p:D:D

Now I would PREFER an original French Model 1897 75mm of which the M1917 was a direct copy, since the M1897 has been declared an "antique" so is EXEMPT from even the transfer tax and NFA...but I would expect they have all been spoken for....:D;)
  15. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

Now THAT would be sweet Polish, though I'd prefer something like a German 7.5cm PaK 40 and a British QF 6 pounder out on the lawn. :D

As for historical firearms Tranter, my father has three that I love and which have been promised to me. The first is a Martini Henry single shot in 577/.450 marked 1875. The second is a Martini Metford in .303 marked 1881 converted in 1896. The third is a Martini Enfield .303 marked 1883 converted in 1897.

They were all three assembled from a box of parts given to my father by an uncle in the C.L.B. (Church Lads Brigade) after they were decided to be unfit for Sunday drill and parade. So they are far from original, only one has a working firing pin but the Henry has a disc on the stock linking to the 3rd Hong Kong Regiment Artillery. She's been around the block a few times! :D