Firearms with a history

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by TranterUK, May 22, 2008.

1. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I remember when in the US reading about some dope who decided to rob a store at pistol point. He was duly caught by the police getting away with a sum of money.

Turns out he was using an pristine Colt 1911 left to him by his father, and worth many times the proceeds of the robbery! :D:D
  2. artabr

artabr New Member

Tranter, the sad thing is that its probably happened a lot more than anyone really knows. :(

Art
  3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I used to be the proud owner of an original Brown Bess Flintlock Musket c.1800/1815. I had it hanging on the wall in my living room.

One day a policeman came to visit, this is normal here if you have a firearms licence. He took a long look at the Flintlock Musket and announced I should lock in the gunsafe. He went on to explain a criminal could steal it, saw the barrel down and use it in a robbery. :eek:

Needless to say I was speechless. :(
  4. Did he ask you to lock up all your cricket bats too, Tranter? ;) Dangerous things those cricket bats, all sorts of nefarious crimes are committed with cricket bats. One has only to view the Cambridge University Cricket Club matches for confirmation. :D;):p

All kidding aside, an original Brown Bess would indeed be a treasure. It was the weapon that, in many ways, built the British Empire.
  5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Yes pistol, It was a treasure. In fact a Short Land Pattern if I remember correctly. And it had a bit of a mystery of it's own. A very professionally filled hole, c.half inch, in the stock, right through about 3" from the wrist towards the butt plate. The best theory I was given was that it may have spent time on a ship. The hole being for a rod to secure it in a rack. There was no evidence of this being the case though.

I sold it when I needed the money, along with a Sea Service Pistol, some dirks of the same period and a Rolex Oyster Perpetual watch I had been given. :( Pretty much the story of my life, up and down, up and bloody down.

Actually, I still have a British Royal Navy Cutlass, c.1810 or 1815. It's called the figure of eight pattern. :) Just holding it is a pleasure.

As for cricket Pistol, I'd rather be shooting.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2008
  6. Tranter, didn't the British government recently impose restrictions on ownership of knives as well as firearms? I think I read something about that.
  7. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Yes they did. Though we should separate ownership from carrying. As far as ownership your not allowed to purchase a knife if under 18 years of age.

As far a carrying your not allowed to carry in a public place any knife with a blade longer than 3" or any lock knife. So a small folder that wont lock the blade, you know the ones that spring closed on your fingers, there OK.

We do have a problem with young people carrying knives. Only yesterday a young girl in South London was stabbed to death and last week a young actor from the Potter movies died the same way. I know a lot of youngsters carry knives 'for protection'. My wife works for the 'Youth offending team' so I get to hear some horror stories.

Needless to say I do not approve, but feel further legislation will have little or no effect. The problems that need to be addressed are with our children, not the inanimate objects they choose to carry and sadly use.

This may surprise most on your side of the pond but we in the UK have a bigger problem, per capita, with youth violence and drunkenness than you do. We also have a Government who believe more and more legislation is the answer. We have a home secretary who should be saying 'do you want fries with that?' rather than making ever more ineffective laws. :(
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2008
  8. I agree with you wholeheartedly, Tranter. Outlawing a "thing" does very little, if anything, to curtail its improper use. A knife, like a firearm, is nothing more than a tool, an object that may be used or misused at the whim of the holder. Even if somehow the government could dispose of all knives in the hands of those under 18, what would stop them from simply sharpening a screwdriver or a file to replace the knife? For that matter, something as simple as a length of wire can be turned to deadly use easily enough, or so I was taught once upon a time, a long time ago. Should we outlaw screwdrivers, files, and bailing wire? That would seem to be nothing more than an absurdity, yet in the minds of the liberals, it's all for "the public good." Balderdash! Outlaw liberals instead of knives and we might get somewhere! :D;)