1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Fireball

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Road America, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Road America

Road America Member

Are there any new rifles being made in .221 Fireball? I have an XP-100 and a bunch of brass, it would be neat to have a good accurate modern rifle also chambered for it.
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

As far as I know, the CZ527 & Remington 700 are the only factory rifles currently chambered in .221 Fireball. I haven't seen any in any of the distributor rags, but Remington added the .221 to the 700 lineup in 2002 and their website says it's still available.

I know the Kimber 84 was available in that caliber a few years back and Remington did a limited run of the 700LS a few years ago in the caliber too. Remington also did a 700 Classic run featuring .221 in 2002 (same year they added the Fireball to the production 700s).
  3. Road America

Road America Member

Thanks - that CZ527 with the full stock is really nice looking - the web site seemed to be saying they make them in 222 and hornet, but there was a mention of 221 also. The Remingtons I found have laminated stocks, I know they work good - but I just don't like them.
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I think the 527 American is the only model still available in .221.
    The FS is currently only available in .222, .223, & Hornet.

All of the 527 models are great little units. Good barrels, an excellent adjustable trigger setup, and very nice wood.
    The only thing I find quirky about em is the "backwards" safety lever (back is fire, forward is safe). That does take some getting used to.

I agree that the .221 would be a good little "light" centerfire varmint round for a rifle. Just the thing to fill the gap between the Hornet and the .222/.223.
    Personally, I'd like to get that cartridge in a 14" XP someday...I think the 10" on the original plastic-stocked XP is a little to short to really get the potential of the .221.
  5. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    not sure but because of ammo price i rechambered my xp from 221 to 223.much cheaper to shoot and many more combos to reload old semperfi