Fired the Polish, and...

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by polishshooter, Jun 5, 2006.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Well, it's a TACK DRIVER....

AS long as the tack is at 25 yds! :mad:

I shot it first to sight it in at 25 yds, with the "new" Polish surplus ammo I bought Saturday.

It sighted in REALLY quickly, then put a 3 shot group into essentially one HOLE in the very CENTER of the 1" circle at the center of the Leupold site in target.

Then I tried it at the other virgin target, and SAME result, two rounds touching, (one hole,) and the third SLIGHTLY above it, in a perfect triangle, just a wisp of paper beteen it and the other two...

I was so happy, I put it down and tried the Russian Scout with the Polish stuff, and with a few teaks, it TOO was punching out the center circle! I was so happy I put BOTH of them in the rack and decided to sight in my .22 rifle, since I had it, the targets, and the spotting scope set up.

Then I put the .22 awy, and confidently marched to the 100 yd range...set up, SQUEEZED a "perfect" five shot group hilding dead on, then leaned over to the scope expecting a 1 1/2: or 2" group aboput 2 oinches or so high...

And I see about a FIVE inch group, roughly about 6 inches high and to the LEFT!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad: What the HE!!???

I check the mount, TIGHT. Check my settings from 25, nothing different. I reload, make NO adjustments, take my time with the SAME hold....SAME results! MAYBE a little tighter group, MAYBE an inch or so CLOSER To center, but still effectively "high, left, and LARGE..."

Now I decide maybe the Polish ain't too good AFTER all. So I dedide with NO adjustments to try a 3 shot group with the Winchester stuff (I only had 11 rounds!) I shot slowly, at a clean target...and I see ONE hole, about 3 inches LOW and to the RIGHT. ONE hole. I ask to go down, everyone else shuts down, I go down, and only ONE hit on the whole TARGET!!!!!!

Now I'm REALLY confused. I tried a group from the Russian, and it only gave about a 3 inch group, again to the left and high.

Now I switch to the Russian surplus with both, and no difference.

So I "adjusted" the scopes, and the "amorphous" 3-6" groups "roughly moved over in line with the center of the target, about 3 inches high.

The same thing happened with the Russian.

So I quit. I'm KICKING myself that I didn't go BACK to 25 and see what if it would repeat the "one hole groups, dead on."

I'm now on a QUEST. NO WAY both these decent barrels should be doing THIS.

I'm going to shave the inside of the stocks to completely "free float" the barrels. (I feel a LITTLE "pressure" when I put the Pole into it's stock and tighten the screws, the Russian cranks down smoothly when I tighten the tang and mag screws...)

Then I think I'm going to cut the barrel on the Pole a little and recrown the bore, to get rid of any rifling damage I may have at the muzzle from improper cleaning (Soviets and Pact troops were taught to clean from the MUZZLE...)

Then finally I MAY switch the scopes around if I don't get any better results. He!!, I can even use the Blazer 1" 4x32 I have on my .22 to see if there is any difference.

THEN I'm going to fire up the press and my new dies....

I WILL get them BOTH shooting into 2" or less at 100 yds or die trying!
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

May not have been a good day BUT ANY GUN WORK IS GOOD WORK
  3. Polish, wouldn't it be easier and cheaper in the long run to just trade the Polish in on a nice German Mauser 98? :::::::ducking::::::: :D ;) :p
  4. polishshooter

"Nice" and "German?" Together? In the same SENTENCE????

Now THAT'S an oxymoron if I EVER heard one......... :p
  5. But Polish, German-built rifles always work properly; even the safety works!!!! :D
  6. polishshooter

Russian Safeties WORK that's not the PROBLEM.

Getting them ON and OFF is the PROBLEM. :p

You know the BEST safety on a surplus rifle besides the American ones in the trigger guard HAS to be the M95 Steyr...you can "click" it on and off positively pretty easily with your thumb, BUT both I've had you could just tilt the rifle a little, and pull back on the cocking piece with your thumb a little and it will just FALL off without a sound....I always thought THAT would be useful in a "stealth or ambush situation...."