Firelapping

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by RunningOnMT, Dec 7, 2010.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Somewhere in my recent internet travels I encountered an article about firelapping a barrel. I didn't save it and now I can't find it. Although I've heard of various barrel break-in techniques I had never heard of lapping by firing rounds with a substance in the barrel. Is anyone familiar with this procedure and does it improve accuracy?
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Yep! Midway has them. They were in a sales article I got on line the other day. From what I understand the bullets are coated with an abrasive, and there are about 3 or 4 bullets in the kit. You shoot the most coarse first, then the next, and so on.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  3. grcsat

grcsat Active Member

I think I may have seen the same artical as you. Something about using ammo with a mild abrasive impregnated in the ammo? Its suposed to polish the bore .remove rough spots and help reduce copper fouling.
    I have heard all sorts of testamonys that sounded like a TV commercel.
    I don't no if any of it is true or just snake oil.

I do lap all my own barrels but I use brown grocery paper and toothpaste for lapping. Its a lot of work but I like the results.
  4. tankman

tankman New Member

firelapping sounds like a logical gimmick. but the end result probably isnt that great. that seems like it would take away some of the experience of getting a new gun. this is coming from someone who just heard of the term 'lapping.' i thought shooting bullets is what broke in a barrel. the idea of sending something through the barrel to grind it smooth sounds sketchy. but i'm a newbie, anyone else think this?
  5. carver

carver Moderator

Don't really know! I've read up on this procedure, and there are Pros, and Cons. I know that I won't ever try it, my guns will out shoot me already. Even if this process makes a rifle more accurate, it wouldn't do me any good anyway!
  6. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

I have used the fire lap kit and got very good results. Also one of the most accurate rifles I ever saw was lapped by coating bullets with J-B Bore cleaner and firing. ( J-B is a very mild abrasive)
  7. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Carver, no disrespect intended but whenever I hear it said that a gun can "outshoot" someone it sounds a bit illogical to me. I assume what is meant is that if the gun was benched it is capable of shooting tighter groups than what the person is able to obtain without the piece being benched. a quite understandable case. However..let's say that you can shoot 6" groups with a particular rifle @ 100 yds standing, unsupported. Now suppose when mounted in a bench that same rifle is capable of 3" groups @100 yds. Now what if you could do something to that rifle to improve it's accuracy to 1" groups @the same range when benched. Sure the rifle is capable of more precision when benched than when you hold it in a standing position, so I guess that means it can "outshoot" you. But don't you think that by improving the benched accuracy (or actually precision) that you would also possibly see an improvement when unsupported? Now that may not necessarily be the case but it is quite possible. If you wobble and shake a great deal when holding the piece, certainly that motion will translate into a very loose group. However groups might be improved if an improvement to the rifles inherent precision was made. If you follow me.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  8. carver

carver Moderator

First, thanks for your reply! Your knowledge, and input are valuable to me, and the others on this forum. I follow you, I understand you, and I agree with you on what you have to say. What I'm talking about is my ability to shoot, not the guns ability. If I had a rifle that could not shoot better than a 3" group at 100yds, I would be about finding out why, and correcting the problem. My rifles all shoot min of angle at 100yds, or less, benched. If a professional shooter should shoot my rifles, he would no doubt get better results than I do, ie, smaller gourps. That is what I mean by "my guns will out shoot me already". I am not a professional! I'm sure that my breathing could use some work, and I really don't know how to shoot between heart beats!
  9. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Damn, you're a professional compared to me. I can barely hold a rifle on paper anymore @ 100 yds.:(:confused: