Firestorm 45 compact and colt slides

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 9, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

Supradraco
    (2/20/03 8:10:02 pm)
    Reply Firestorm 45 compact and colt slides
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just joined the boards and this seems like a grweat place for the info I am seeking. I have already responded to a question about the Firestorm's warranty so Heres my question.

Some parts on the Firestorm 45 can swap with a true 1911, looking at the LLama site list them. I have also read somewhere that the 1911 slide (complete with spring, bushing, barrel....) can also fit. Has anyone tried this?

I saw an advertisment for a carbine that uses the 1911 as the lower. You simply use the lower of your 1911 and you have a .45 carbine. It stated that all colt 1911 and other Clones will work. When I do save enough for my Kimber, instead of tossing the firestorm in a bag for a spare range loner, I would love to get one of these.

Any thoughts?

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (2/21/03 8:40:41 am)
    Reply Re: Firestorm 45 compact and colt slides
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Firestorm .45 Compact with a Colt 1911 slide will leave a gap due to the short dust cover on the frame.

If using a Firestorm 1911 Gov't model frame , the Colt slide switch will work.

The 1911 carbine conversion could be fun. Buy one and let us know how you like it.

magnum74
    (2/23/03 9:09:10 pm)
    Reply carbine conversion kit
    Shooter45...I'm in the same boat with Supradraco...I have a Firestorm Govt 1911...I myself is on the way to purchasing a Kimber in the future to replace it...but I don't want to toss the Firestorm away once the Kimber is in my hands. My question is...are the conversion kits safe? And if I buy one...from which manufacturer should I purchase one from? Thanks!!!

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (2/24/03 8:10:36 am)
    Reply Re: carbine conversion kit
    Magnum74,

Are you refering to the .22 conversion ?

Supradraco
    (2/28/03 1:29:52 pm)
    Reply Conversion kit
    I think what he is talking about is the carbine conversion kits. From what I have read on them if your Kimber slide fits the firestorm lower then the kit will work. The kits are made to fit on any standard clone or colt.

I was also wondering what types of colt/ clone 1911 .45 slides will fit my Firestorm 45 compact, (4 1/4" barrel.) and if they made a carbine kit that would fit a 1911 .45 compact frame.

magnum74
    (3/4/03 12:37:50 am)
    Reply conversion kit
    Shooter45...I am referring to the .45 carbine conversion kit. I know several manufacturers make them. I just wanna know which one is the better of them.
  2. bitsbucket

bitsbucket New Member

Not wanting to show my ignorance, but I am not familiar with Firestorm...judging from the info I have uncovered, they are/were Bersa? or a division of?
    Anyway, the "compact" 45 that looks like a 1911 and is 2 tone....does that have an alloy frame? If so, what is the "unloaded" weight? I need a commander size 45 and found one for 300 bucks, (less maybe) and am wondering if it is worth the money....I NEED lightweight as I work in a gun shop and need an all day carry gun...I have a Kel-Tec PF-9 (9mm) right now, but would prefer a .45 all day long!!!
    The Kel-Tec is light and VERY easy to carry all day without feeling at the end of the day I have a 5 LB weight on my hip....these Firestorms seem attractive for the price, and as I said I have a line on a great deal on on one....but just needed some opinions..Of course I can buy at cost, but sometimes better deals can be had, like in this case.....(I think?) where it is a private individual that just want to get rid of it...
    Thanks,
    John