Firing a vintage flintlock

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Jackman, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

As Enfield says, you have a Contract Model 1819 Hall U.S. Breech-Loading Flintlock Rifle. It was made by Simeon North in Middletown, CT. between 1830-1836 with a total quantity manufactured at 5,700.

If you go to your local library, ask for Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms, 8th Edition. Full information on your rifle is on page 453-454.

BTW, Flayderman values your Hall Flintlock in Fine Condition (which it appears to be) at $3,500.

This is a rare and valuable firearm, so you may want to reconsider shooting it.
  2. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Thanks all for this great info, I really do appreciate it. I am still trying to post some pics but my digi cam does not do well with a very close shot. I really want to learn what that imprint on the stock is all about, I tried a pencil rubbing but the imprint is not deep enough to show up on the rubbing. Enfield , that is interesting that you mention the West Point museum, cause West Point borders the town that I grew up in and I had been through the museum quite a few times but don't recall seeing a musket like mine, I will look up that photo # and see if I can gather more info.

JJMitchell, on removing the breach to use as a hand held if I push the locking mechanism rearward and up the breach almost comes out but I can feel that it is still held in by something firm. Do you have any pics of the breach removed?

Xracer I will find that book that you mention and read up ........ I also share you concerns with firing such an old piece cause things can go wrong but I do intend to fully know what I am doing before I actually do it and hopfully I will have some seasoned veterans of vintage firearms present at the time.

Thanks again for all the help
    Jack
  3. Enfield

Enfield New Member

Hi Guys
    as promised I have scanned attached the photo from the book

The photo of the gun is quite poor but the close up of the lock on the left is not too bad

All the best

Enfield

Attached Files: