firing pin assembly

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by confederatemule, Apr 6, 2012.

1. confederatemule

confederatemule New Member

Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, corner of Texas
    I just bought an old Iver Johnson top break revolver. t is a second model, 5th variation. Not real sure bout the variation. It could be 5th, 6th, or 7th. The pat. info, on the bottom of the grip butt is wore off.
    Now, for my question.
    How do I remove the firing pin? Where can I buy one. I think it needs the spring replaced. If I can get the pin assembly out, I hope to be able to replace the spring only.

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  2. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

3. confederatemule

They don't.
    Thanks for the reply.
  4. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Don't have a representative piece in the shop right now, but if I remember correctly those guns used a bushing in the breech face to hold the firing pin and spring in the frame.
  5. confederatemule

StoneChimney, best as I can tell by looking in B. Goforth's book, you are correct. I assume that it screws out. I am pretty sure there was a special tool for that job, that had pins that stuck into the holes, on each side of the firing pin. I don't have the tool, but I have used punches to do similar tasks down through the years. One punch in each hole and a bar, of some sort, between the punches and twist.
  6. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

The pin is held in by a threaded bushing in the breach face. You will need to make a special screw driver to fit the two pin holes in the bushing. It may be necessary to drench it in Kroil for a week before trying to unscrew it. At times it's been necessary to heat the breach face with a torch before being able to unscrew it.

The .22 caliber small frame IJ brake top used a cross pin to hold in the firing pin.

The firing pin return spring is a short coil spring made of rather thin wire. They are often crushed or broken from long years of dry firing. It may be possible to make one by cutting a section from some other thin wire coil spring.
  7. confederatemule

45Auto, thanks for your help. That is sorta what I thought.
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Sometimes those bushings are very difficult to remove since the breech face was machined after the bushing was installed. While the technique used by confederatemule will work sometimes, I think making or buying the tool would be a better approach.

JIm
  9. confederatemule

Where, in the world, would a person buy the correct tool?
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Try Brownells, Firing Pin Bushing Tool, Stock # 590-017-002AC. It is adjustable to fit most FP bushings. Use it with a small box wrench and a rod through the barrel for pressure. Cost is around $28.

Jim
  11. confederatemule

Jim, THANKS. I'll "have" one next week.

Mule
  12. confederatemule

I ordered the adjustable 2 pin tool. Got it today. It won't do the job. The pins are too large for the holes in the bushing and, also, the pins will not adjust close enough to fit. If the pin width was correct I would make the holes the correct size. Just my luck. :)
  13. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

It looks like you are going to have to make a tool.

Not that big a job if you have a drill press and a Dremel tool with cut off wheels. You can use the shank of an appropriate size twist drill to make the pins which can be soldered into and held by a handle fashioned from low carbon steel.

Good luck.
  14. confederatemule

I'll call Brownells before I try to make one. They may know of a source for the correct tool.
    If not, I will try my luck at making one. I do have a drill press and Dremel tool with cut off wheels.

Thanks, Hammerslagger, for the suggestion.