Firing Pin Location Importance

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Millwright, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

Ran across an interesting factoid about .22 RF today. An engineer at CCI noted that the ignition point in a rimfire has a distinct influence upon its performance. I.e. if the firing pin strike is at 12 o'clock the charge burns across the top and down to the bottom of the case. If at 6 o'clock it burns up thru the powder charge. Doesn't take too much imagination to figure the two extremes certainly must raise hob with RF cartridge design engineers !!

In the first instance I suspect the "time to peak pressure" might be shorter due to the combined effect of impulse and heat working upon a large/increasing surface area.

In the second instance the priming pulse would mix/aerate the charge before it burns completely putting some space between individual powder grains that may affect the burn rate.

In both instances the heeled bullet will probably be headed downbore before complete combustion takes place due to its lack of crimp permitting consistent pressure rise.

Anyone have any ideas/experience to relate ? >MW
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

What would happen if something crushed the entire rim at once? I mean, like a firing pin that was a circle the size of the rim on a .22 LR.

I don't even know if it would be feasible. It would sure take a lot of force to crush the whole rim at once. Would it be too much force? Would it be possible to do this in a way that the movement of the firing pin itself didn't shake the gun?