Firing Pin through Primer

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zhurh, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

S&W 460 mag, 10 inch; has had maybe 75 rounds through her. Had Hornady Custom 200 grain SST and firing pin went through primer, jammed, couldn't open cylinder. I've had to tighten screws on that pistol previous but never any problems until now, and that gun will put quarter size holes through 3/8 steel plate. Is that problem common, as first time for me on a pistol? Half hesitant of shooting the gun too much after that happened. I often carry a 5 inch S&W 460 on my belt when around bear. Got me wondering now about too much pistol?
  2. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I would contact S&W ASAP. I have never seen that before.
  3. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I looked on S&W site, going to call nx week. I really luv those 460's too.
  4. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

You may have just encountered a thin or defective primer; or you FP protrusion may be too great.

I would contact S&W and determine the FP protrusion specs, and then measure it. If it is too long, S&W should pay the shipping both ways, and install a correct protrusion length FP.
  5. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

A neighbor of mine was mentioning that possibly the FP was wearing out, never heard of such a thing myself, but I kept a straight face and nodded that he might be right. After I find out the problem, I'll post.
  6. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

Have you noticed any signs of pierced primers before? I have seen an AR type rifle that had been piercing primers and had flame eroded the firing pin making it pretty worn and rough.
  7. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

could be an overpresherd round. It may be a factory round, but it still hapens.
  8. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

If it has only hapend once i would go with a primer that was thin walled. first.
  9. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Called S&W, they wanted me to send them the gun, I'd prefer doing it local in Alaska if I could, so they are sending me a firing pin; cust serv didn't know specs. I'll look at firing pin and take some picts and post. The brass, the primer is burnt through, black on outside of primer and this was a hornady 200 grain SST.

If it looks good, I might shoot a few more and see if this problem repeats, what other problems can that cause me?

Gun smith in Fairbanks said too much pistol, he hates ultra mags, 460's, 500's, anything above 300 win mag, and he is also dead against loading max loads, ect ect; probably for good reason, (he sees & fixes all the screw ups). The 460 has some power. Look at this pict, the holes are from 200 grain hornady 460, the scratches are from 44 & 480. Anyway, thanks for the info.
    [​IMG]
  10. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Well, I understand, that in years past, more than one hunter and guide, at least one of which was armed with a rifle like a .30-06, have been found mauled to death by a bear that was found dead nearby with multiple gunshot wounds. Thus, I infer that no handgun is really adequate for large, angry, fast charging bears; even though there are several documented cases of large aggressive G. Bears being terminated with the lowly .22 RF; including one that had treed an man armed with a S&W K-22, who shot Grizzly in the eye at a few feet distance.

If I walked around in large and dangerous bear country, say metal detecting for gold nuggets, I think that I would go with a light weight, compact, short action .35 bore size magnum rifle slung over my shoulder.

P. S.- Does the tip of the firing pin seem smooth and rounded or broken and jagged?
  11. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

AWESOME Power there....I love the snubby.