Firing pins for W.H. Hamilton

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by gunNstuffer, Apr 13, 2012.

1. gunNstuffer

gunNstuffer New Member

We have lived in numerous states but since 1980 we
    I am resurrecting an old Hamilton external hammer double barrel shotgun to
    shoot black powder shells at cowboy action shoots. It's solid, tight, and in quite good condition except for the firing pins. Someone previously had tried to do what ever they were trying to do with the firing pins and in the process
    ruined them making them totally nonfunctional. I made new brass housings for
    the firing pins; and am now ready to make new firing pins. My dilemma is how
    do I determine their length? I know what the protuberance toward the chamber should be but how do I determine the length toward the hammers?
    Any suggestions or information would be most appreciated.
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum i am sure someone will be along to help
  3. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Deleted.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  5. gunNstuffer

gunNstuffer New Member

We have lived in numerous states but since 1980 we
    My shotgun and the one in the pictures are almost identical. The difference is the stock.
    I suspect mine at one time was restocked. Thank you for the link - very interesting.
  6. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

You are most welcome.

The shotgun pictured is Belgian. It has barrels forged from homogeneous steel not by the forge welded or so called Damascus method. {I have no idea what you have without clear pictures of the marks on the under side of the barrels as well as pictures of the barrels.

It post dates 1893, but is likely 110 years old. It was Black Powder proofed, and not nitro proofed. It is bored 18.2 mm which is 0.015" tighter than current US standard of 18.5 mm or 0.729". It was made for use with brass shotshells and likely has chambers no longer than 63 to 65 mm as compared to 70 mm for today's standard 12 gauge.

I do not advise shooting old guns like this for reasons that include damage to the gun, the shooter, and persons near by.

Hope that this is useful.
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I do want to say that it was fairly common in the old days to deliberately remove or disable the firing pins on old shotguns that had been determined to be dangerous to prevent them from being fired. On a few occasions, people have not understood that, made new firing pins, and ended uip blowing up the old gun and injuring themselves.

Anyone who decides to "restore" an old gun to firing condition should make sure that it can stand up to firing. Note that I am NOT just talking about black powder vs. smokeless; some of those guns should not be fired, period. Often the old barrels have been rusted out, or scrubbed so often that they are paper thin, ready to blow with even the most mild pressure.

Jim
  8. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Jim K is 100% correct on all points made.