1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Firing Pins on CZ52

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Terry G, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Terry G

Terry G Member

I have owned a commercial CZ52 in 9MM for several years and fired hundreds of rounds through it without a problem. I just ordered one in 7.62MM and now people are telling me to go ahead and order a new firing pin because the 7.62 models are prone to breakage. Is this true? If so, where would I find a new one? I don't uderstand why the 9MM works OK but the 7.62MM breaks. Thank For your help.
  2. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

You can find info on this at http://www.makarov.com/cz52/index.html . They say it's weak steel. They also sell replacements.

I wasn't aware that there was such a thing as a commercial CZ-52. The milsurp models can be converted to 9mm by replacing the barrel, but I had no idea that they had been produced commercially in that caliber.
  3. MPinkston

MPinkston New Member

Yes, the firing pins in the CZ-52 7.62x25 are quite brittle. DO NOT DRY FIRE this gun. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a spare stainless steel firing pin on hand just in case.
  4. Terry G

Terry G Member

I bought it out of SGN about 8 or 9 years ago. They were advertised briefly and then they were gone. The slide is a highly polished commercial blue, no signs of a re-blue and the barrel is marked CZ52 9MM. The frame is a dark blue almost black color and is dull, not shiny. It's very accurate, but is picky about JHP's. I don't know if this was a limited run, or just a batch of slides and barrel's mated to the standard frame. Imported by C.A.I.
  5. offeror

offeror New Member

I don't know whether the firing pins on the 9mm batch were aftermarket or original. The original pins do have a reputation for breakage, as early as THE FIRST TIME you dry fire it, so it must not be done even once. As long as you fire with a round or a snap cap chambered, the pins on these can last for a nominal time. I have seen extra firing pins priced from $10 to $30, but I do not know if some of these are milsurp take-offs or not. I personally would not bother to spend $10 on an extra milsurp pin that was just as brittle as my original. Might as well get a replacement that will stand up to dry firing. So if you do buy a pin, ask what its breeding is.

As I've said before, these guns also had a problem with the decocker firing the gun. Those imported to us lately are supposed to have been "armory serviced" to correct this somehow, but I'd always point the gun in a safe direction while decocking in case of an AD, at least until you know your gun's habits. Better yet, carry chamber empty and don' t use the decocker. That's what I prefer to do.