Firing Pins on CZ52

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Terry G, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Terry G

Terry G New Member

I have owned a commercial CZ52 in 9MM for several years and fired hundreds of rounds through it without a problem. I just ordered one in 7.62MM and now people are telling me to go ahead and order a new firing pin because the 7.62 models are prone to breakage. Is this true? If so, where would I find a new one? I don't uderstand why the 9MM works OK but the 7.62MM breaks. Thank For your help.
  2. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

You can find info on this at http://www.makarov.com/cz52/index.html . They say it's weak steel. They also sell replacements.

I wasn't aware that there was such a thing as a commercial CZ-52. The milsurp models can be converted to 9mm by replacing the barrel, but I had no idea that they had been produced commercially in that caliber.
  3. MPinkston

MPinkston New Member

Yes, the firing pins in the CZ-52 7.62x25 are quite brittle. DO NOT DRY FIRE this gun. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a spare stainless steel firing pin on hand just in case.
  4. Terry G

Terry G New Member

I bought it out of SGN about 8 or 9 years ago. They were advertised briefly and then they were gone. The slide is a highly polished commercial blue, no signs of a re-blue and the barrel is marked CZ52 9MM. The frame is a dark blue almost black color and is dull, not shiny. It's very accurate, but is picky about JHP's. I don't know if this was a limited run, or just a batch of slides and barrel's mated to the standard frame. Imported by C.A.I.
  5. offeror

offeror New Member

I don't know whether the firing pins on the 9mm batch were aftermarket or original. The original pins do have a reputation for breakage, as early as THE FIRST TIME you dry fire it, so it must not be done even once. As long as you fire with a round or a snap cap chambered, the pins on these can last for a nominal time. I have seen extra firing pins priced from $10 to $30, but I do not know if some of these are milsurp take-offs or not. I personally would not bother to spend $10 on an extra milsurp pin that was just as brittle as my original. Might as well get a replacement that will stand up to dry firing. So if you do buy a pin, ask what its breeding is.

As I've said before, these guns also had a problem with the decocker firing the gun. Those imported to us lately are supposed to have been "armory serviced" to correct this somehow, but I'd always point the gun in a safe direction while decocking in case of an AD, at least until you know your gun's habits. Better yet, carry chamber empty and don' t use the decocker. That's what I prefer to do.