First 1911 suggestions

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by smlranger, Apr 10, 2011.

1. smlranger

smlranger New Member

I picked up the Kimber Eclipse Custom II yesterday. Did the field strip and gave it a good cleaning as recommended in the manual. Hope to get to the range later this week and run some factory ammo and start the break in process.

I'm also a Ruger fan and there may be one of their new 1911's in my future...already planted that seed with the DW for a Christmas present.
  2. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Yeah that Ruger 1911 is out now and MSRP is about 800 I believe.
  3. johnboat

johnboat New Member

that s w for 750 is a good value .
  4. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

I'm with ranger. Haven't had a 45 in years, had to many(is that possible?)
    Got tired of them, but that Ruger is really sharp! Gonna wait for some real time reviews, then take the plunge again.
  5. Heretic

Heretic New Member

I just picked up a Desert Eagle 1911G. Reliable, pretty and accurate. In fact it's the most accurate 1911 I've ever owned. (2 inches at 25 yards.) At lease give it a look. At around 700 dollars, it's pretty reasonable.
  6. KimberSeries1

KimberSeries1 New Member

Dan Wesson! At that price range, if you can get a new or slightly used DW, go for it. It will be much more gun for the same money. You could also check out slightly used higher end models from Colt or Kimber. I got a pre-Series II Kimber Compact Custom that only had 100 rounds through it. It looks nearly brand new, and it's from 1997. It's the finest firearm I own accept for maybe my Browning A-Bolt.....

If you could find a slightly used Colt Gold Cup, or National Match model(series 70 or pre-series 70), that would be sweet!.....Plus, the Kimber Royal Custom and Royal Carry models had a fabulous finish!, and some other pre-series II models were very fine as well.
    Last edited: May 21, 2011
  7. Cary Lang

Cary Lang Member

I am not as versed as a lot of others here on the 1911's but I just bought one of the Remington R1's. Out of the box it was impressive. I have fired hundreds of rounds through it without a hiccup. It is very reasonably priced to at about $559 at our local shop. Any others have experience with this model?
  8. ka64

ka64 Active Member

+1

[​IMG]

Paid 650 for this one.
    Last edited: May 22, 2011
  9. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I think these are going to be good guns. I wish they would free them up a little. I am a dealer and cant get them yet.....same with the rugers...
  10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Over the past 5 years I've owned about every brand of production 1911 out there. I might be lucky but I've never owned a bad one or one that was ammo picky, but then again I shoot ball ammo primarily. I like Springers as they do not have the extra hardware associated with a firing pin block and are a good value. I've liked the S&W models I've had as well even if they differ from the 1911 standard by using external extractors. I haven't had a chance to test the new Ruger offering yet but it's priced reasonably as I've heard of them going for around $600-$650 when you can find one. As someone else mentioned, Sig makes a very smooth and accurate version as well. I'd stack up my Tac Ops against any other gun in the same price range as it's very well built and a really great shooter...

[​IMG]