first attempt at .45 long colt.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by frosty, Dec 14, 2003.

1. frosty

frosty New Member

Well these are my first ever .45 long colt loads.......a grand total of 20 cartridges

250grn lead RN FP on top of 7.0 grns of ww231 (need to get /as per Plano/ ww 296),
    A light roll crimp into the groove.
    CCI 300 (large pistol primers), mixed brass.:)

Yes, I am young and I can't contain my exuberation on the forth coming new arrival!!

God willing and the creek don't rise!:)

Attached Files:

2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Frosty,

I would advise getting rid of WW231 for the 45 Colt and leave it for your 45 ACP. It would be too easy to double charge a case and then the troubles begin. I would opt for WW296, Unique, H110 or 2400. I also hear that AA makes some good pistol powders, but I have never used them.

I would always use a HEAVY crimp for this round. If you use hot loads, bullets have been known to creep out of the case and jam up the cylinder. I always heavy crimp this round. Just go back and recrimp them again.

Okay for light practice rounds, but not good for working up the heavy loads. Can cause pressure problems with case volumes changing.

It will only be a few days now. Good luck and keep em in the black!
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2003
  3. frosty

frosty New Member

I recrimped my colt rounds (heavier) as per your instructions.

Now I need the 296 and I am set.

I will match case heads for equal case volume
  4. WyomingSwede

WyomingSwede Guest

I love Unique but AA#9 is a good heavy powder. I have had great results with it. It meters very well but shoots dirty. Dont recommend it for a stainless revolver.

swede
  5. txpete

txpete New Member

it's pretty hard to beat unique.I have used aa9,w231,bullseye,tight group and universal but unique gets the nod for my ruger vaq. and win 94 in 45 colt.starline has the best brass.
    pete
  6. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Hi txpete and welcome to TFF. Pull up a stump and I know one of these ole boys will be along shortly and welcome y'all proper.

Need to go dig up the ole TX vs WA thread again in the "General Discussions" group.

Pay us a visit up there and add to the merriment!

I use a load of 6.5 gr Unique with a 255 gr cast bullet! Good round! Practice only though!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2004
  7. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Glad to see you at TFF, txpete.

We trust you will visit us often and will post often.

We have a fine bunch of very congenial folks here and the collective knowledge, if you are patient so all see the questions, is second to none anywhere else.

Attached Files:

8. txpete

txpete New Member

thanks guys for the howdy and welcome.I am a big fan of the 45colt/44-40/45/70 and 38-55.I cast and reload for all of them.I am sure glad I found this site.
    pete
  9. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Yep! Welcome to y'all txpete!!!...I'm still at the 45 colt level only...but, I reckon i'll move on ta other caliber's soon a'nuff!...;)
  10. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Welcome, txpete.

Frosty, weigh each (trimmed) case, first empty, then full of water. This will give you case volume comparisons. I have found that a batch of 100 mixed cases generally will break into 2 or 3 groups when measured this way. Put a number on each case with marking pen (later remove it with alcohol) and record the weights in a chart. This is where the computer can really help in sorting them.

Pops
  11. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Welcome Txpete.....

I preffer Bullseye for the light practice loads, and 2400 for the mule kickin' magnum loads. Both seem to meter very accurately through my Lee powder measure, and they also seem to burn a lot cleaner than anything else I've shot out of my wheel gun.