First batch of 3006

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by mvmtoys, Aug 19, 2012.

1. mvmtoys

mvmtoys New Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Missouri
    Well I managed to load up my first reloads and I must say it all seems pretty simple, and I am thrilled with my first attempt at reloading, but I do have some concerns. I am loading for 3006 using Honraday 150gr SST bullets, 52grains of H4350, winchester cases and CCI Large Rifle primers. I fired my first 3 reloads and at 100 yards I am able to lay a nickel over the group. Needless to say I am more then pleased my concern is the rifle is noticably louder and the recoil is quite a bit more then the factory ammo that I have been shooting. I see no signs of excessive pressure looking at the spent cases, and I can live with the recoil, is this common shooting reloads? Sorry if it is a dumb question but I would sure like to put my mind to rest. Thanks

2. Skipper

Skipper Well-Known Member

Your load is within the limits set by Hodgdon and it sounds OK. 4350 is a slow powder so the muzzle blast may be a little louder than normal. If you're shooting groups like that with no pressure signs, I wouldn't change a thing!
    :D:D

3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    SW Fort Worth
    each powder is going to have different characteristics and results. If you have any hesistations at all, get a chrony and know your velocities. This is a key indicator that you can use. A chrony is well worth the money and adds to peace of mind.

4. mvmtoys

mvmtoys New Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Missouri
    thanks for the feedback guys, makes me feel better. A chronograph is deffinitly in my future but afraid not anytime real soon, as money is a bit tight. I must say this reloading is addictive I am HOOKED.........