First batch of clean brass - I'm impressed

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by stev32k, Oct 30, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

ok, thanks, I had wondered about some of that.

i would guess if you kept the drying heat mild. ie.. under 200 degrees, it would be no different as to what the cartridge would see in a gun chamber. i know my brass ejects hot enough to burn you.. and after prolonged fireing.. the bbl is too hot to touch. meaning the chamber must be near about 180' or so.
  2. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Mine simply get tumbled in white rice,
    no additives, inspected, and on to the press.
  3. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i use a mix.. white rice, corn cob media, and some walnut mix.
  4. stev32k

stev32k Well-Known Member

At what temperature do you start to anneal the cases?
  5. steve2md

steve2md New Member

Wow. A little aggressive about other member's methods much?:( He's loading straight walled pistol cartridges. Odds are, his dies are carbide lined. Not likely to scratch those with a little dirt on the cases if he chooses to size/deprime prior to tumbling (to get the full benefit of ss media, you should deprime prior to tumbling anyways). The carbide dies negates the need for lubricant of any sort on his non bottle necked cases, so there is no need to leave any residue in the cases. Leaving cases dirty/unpolished is a PERSONAL PREFERENCE, not some golden rule of reloading. Any process that is safe and makes an individual feel better about their reloading process, is the right thing for that person to do. Some people LIKE shiny, factory new looking brass....get over it!

OK, rant done.

Stev32K, Your brass looks great:thumbsup:. I personally live in AZ, so I don't use extra methods to dry my brass in the summer. it goes on a towel in the driveway for an hour and is almost too hot to touch. in the winter, I sometimes use the compressor to blow out my rifle cases, but otherwise, an hour on the towel in the driveway gets 'em bone dry. I still tend to tumble one day, and load the next, just in case. I use a small amount of dish soap (whatever the wife has on hand), a 9mm case full of lemishine, and a gallon of COLD water. it works fine for me.
  6. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier New Member

I clean the ID of case necks. The neck holds the bullet. The clean neck is as important as having clean bullets. I would not want carbon covered bullets. The very fact that fouling is not laid down even in the neck is another reason to clean the neck IDs. In all cases lube should be removed from the necks with a 92% low water base alcohol. The clean surface of the neck and bullet produce positive friction.
    During anealing with a torch set the cases in a pan of water. The surface of the water should contact the case not more than a 1/4" below the shoulder. The tip of the torch should turn the case neck an even cherry red. When the neck is hot tip it into the water. There are many ways to soften brass. Check hot lead aneal and oven aneal both allow for constant readable results.;)