The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

First Batch Test using Concentricity on 223

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  cycloneman 
#1 ·
I tried my new Hornady concentricity tool out. I found the Remington pretty consistent with .001 to .002 and no near perfect. PPU was .00075 to .0015 and occasional .002 and no near perfect. The American Eagle was pretty consistent with .001 to .002 and a few near perfect. All in all, no significant difference for plinking rounds. Then I went to my reloads. Surprisingly they were all better than the factory reloads with most consistent with .0005 to .00075 and some just meter tickles.
-
Qualifier: All my reloads were done on single stage and picking nits on OAL since they were going to be test loads. I only did a few out of each factory box as well as my reload box so the numbers could vary if taken from a larger group or different group within the same box. I did note that on the factory rounds, the starting place for the dial needle was not always the same as I spun the round. After I put the tool away, I should have done the OAL measurement as locational position of the rounds in relation to the OAL in the tool moves the needle to a different part of the bullet seems to tell me the oal was slightly different which caused this dial location position occurrence. I didn't have this occurrence on my 223 reloads. Might not be the same story when I approach the lands or test my larger caliber rounds. This could of just been a fluke. As I have only tested a few of each. At any rate, fun initial try out of the tool.

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you had a chance to shoot any rounds that you brought into near perfect concentricity yet? It would be interesting to see if you deliberately set some rounds a few thousandths out and a few near perfect then kept track of which rounds were which when you fired them to see what the differences were.

I'm guessing you are a match shooter or are planning on going there?

#3 ·
I'd like to learn the concepts and see if I can get better at distance shooting. I've been little by little getting into it. The only decent distance ranges are 4 hours away. If I enjoy the process enough after this summer, I'll pick up a more spendy rifle next fall. May be the Sako A7 or Tikka variety since I can get a huge discount. By then I hope to learn enough and be proficient enough to make it worth the expense.

#4 ·
Interesting. What bullets were used on your reloads?

I'm not a precission shooter nor do I know much about it but I would guess having an ideal COL, (ogive a few thousandths off the lands) in conjunction with a near perfect concentric bullet would be the goal. Do you also measure your rifles for maximum COL?

#5 ·
While I subscribe to getting the bullet as close as possible to the start of the rifling in the barrel, many "experts" indicate that may not be the optimum positioning of the bullet for YOUR gun. Guns vary as to their likes. it is just another variable to test for. I have read numbers above 0.050 inches off the lands by some shooters with excellent groups.

In a video I bought years ago on advanced reloading techniques John Barsness (noted journalist) advocates for the concentricity measuring to cull out the really non concentric rounds. But with the Hornady tool you can fix it. The problem I see with the Hornady measurement part is (as best I can tell from pictures) is that the universal cartridge holder holds the case by the rim which in theory could be non-concentric with the body of the case (??). I passed on the tool. Barsness's included some testing that proved his point of the video and concentricity.

LDBennett

#6 ·
drymag

You have not mentioned what I believe is the first step in making "concentric ammo".
While the bullet may be concentric my first question would be , is the cartridge neck concentric . What I mean is have you turned the cartridge neck so that it is has the same thickness all the way around . I do recall , a very long time ago, when I would check the concentricity of my ammo , I would check both the bullet and the cartridge neck to make sure everything was as true as possible.

#7 ·
My test rifle lands start at 2.423." I used a slightly snug piece of 223 brass and let the bolt push it into the brass then measured the oal. I want to try the Hornady oal tool but that's another expense for another pay check. I've read that the method I used is so close to the Hornady tool measurements that buying the tool isn't really necessary. But I want to get it myself to make the process easier.
-
I've read about the brass neck wall thickness/concentricity. That's another tool that has to wait for the paycheck as I sneak up on this sport. I hope to have all that I need before the warmer weather arrives so I can make the drive to the ranges and not end up with a snow or rain problem.
-
All my bullets that I tested from my 223 reloads were all Hornady.
-
I don't have huge expectations on this distance shooting and definitely not going into the precision shooting direction. I just want to use the methods that many say are the techniques of the sport and see where it takes me as I try the longer ranges out and see what kind of groups I can get. If I can gong a 3'X3' gong at 1000 for the larger caliber, and something respectable at 600-700 with my 223, that will be great. Anything better than that will be a surprise. The biggest single expenses have been the scopes.
-
I've read various articles on the rifle break in process. They say do it in warmer conditions so that's another reason for waiting for warmer weather. Besides I won't have what I need until the warmer weather gets here so it will all work out about the same time. I figure I will take the bell curve majority of the articles and marry the results to whatever I do. Different rifles probably take different methodologies for break in but I'm new at this and it will get whatever gels out.
-
Good questions as it will help in my learning process so I can make the venture with better information and hopefully better results.
-
I was shooting this summer and the breathing with trigger was easy to manage. The heart rate was not until I thought about my pulse-ox. Fortunately I have a slow heart rate when I am sitting relaxed (45-ish) so I can time the pull with that. Hard to tell if it makes any difference but the range was short. Will try the pulse-ox on the 300 yard range and see if it matters.
-
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. All my reloading tips came from this forum and manuals and you tube vids. The grey areas from manuals and vids have been clarified here which improves my safety and reloading results so thanks to all who have helped.

#8 ·
To drymag, a little rick I learned from a bench rest shooter. If shooting for group size, shoot the gun free-recoil style, that is the only contact you have with the gun is thumb and trigger finger. The gun should be put into an appropriate, preferably adjustable front rest and bagged at the rear. Adjustments made with the rest are done, position yourself about a half to an inch away from the butt of the rifle, put your thumb on the back outside of the trigger guard, finger on the trigger and fire. I shot a 5 shot group that was around .100" using his 6PPC and this shooting method.

#9 ·
Is this a necessary process? I will toss out a round for all most any reason. I run each and every round in a wilson case gauge. If there is any problems at all once i put it in the case gauge i identify the problem and if i cant correct it i toss it out. I would think that if your round freely works in the case gauge it should be square. Square enough anyway. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.