First Deer...N.E. Texas Whitetail

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/20/02 1:55:06 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All
    ezSupporter
    First Deer...N.E. Texas Whitetail
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I suppose my story really starts almost two years ago, A good friend of mine bought a 50 acre tract that is literally a dump (I'd never say that to him).
    About 1/2 the place was logged about 12 years ago, but the time ran out on the logging rights before they got the fallen timber out, so now it is 1/2 underbrush that you cant shread without removing this timber, along with an old homeplace (used to be a trailer house) that is really a dump (Lots of work) the rest of it is nice woodland surronded by nice land...Well I worked my tail off tring to help him clean this place up, carve out trails, shread, ect last year, then we hunted deer season with no results (imigine that ). This year the place looks better, but we still had to work on it every other Saturday all this last summer with lots of work left to do.

Monday morning I was sitting in my stand about 1/2 an hour before daylight tring to doze off because of lack of sleep when I looked in front of me and saw the image of a deer not 25ft in front of me, I was all excited and everything, but I knew it would walk off before daylight...This is a "one buck county" and I couldn't see if it had antlers. Believe it or not it wandered around in front of the stand, walking off to about 75 yrds while day broke...It was a doe.

I was begining to get a little burnt out on deer hunting, it was starting to seem like a lot of work and expense for nothing...untill last night my neighbor across the street asked if I'd go hunting with him because he dosen't hunt alone and his brother was sick, I said sure.

He put me in a stand and we hunted untill dark, nothing...I was starting to feel the flu comming on so I hesitated when he asked if I'd hunt this morning...He warned that the sun is blinding from my stand in the morning, and we're under a full moon so we probabally wouldn't see a thing anyway, but I said I'd go simply because he wouldn't get to hunt if I didn't.

Rolled out of bed at 4am this morning...the flu had taken hold real good. I suited up in my warm clothes and sat on the couch considering walking over and calling it off, knowing he'd be dissapointed...at 4:30 I heard him fire his ol' Dodge up, so I just grabbed the 25-06 walked out doors and noticed the frost on the ground, well they wont be eating that I mused as I watched my breath form in the frigid air...Lets just get this over with.

He was in good spirits all the way to his lease, he talked non-stop so I figured this is good...it's neighborly of him and me and we'll become better buddys and I'll be back in bed by 10:30.

Well he wasn't lieng about that sun, when it fiiinally came up. I had a "head rag" on for warmth and put a ball cap over that to shield my eyes.

As I sat there, I got to thinking, "you know, I am a Christian and I didn't have to put up with this cold so I prayed about it and I really did get to feeling a whole lot better believe it or not.

Tick tock, Tick tock........

Then he stepped out in the meadow..."Bucky"...about 150yrds out from me, just walking steady as you please, right past my neighbor (about 60 yrds from him) I threw up my field glasses and realized there were horns on this sucker, I kept waiting for his gun to go off...I found out later that he never saw him. As Bucky got closer to me I eased the -06 up, peered through the scope and realized there were enough horns, a justifable kill...He was getting awfull close too, but as he continued walking and I lead him in the scope the sun started playing against me, I started wishing I'd done more reasearch and found a good Bushnell sunshade...I realized I wasn't going to get a perfect shot so I made up my mind I was going to whistle to try and stop him, but I never got the chance, the forgrip area of the stock and the leather strap on my gun that I was sliding across a piece of wood on the stand binded and made a "pop" noise, ol' Bucky stopped and was looking straight at me...about 60 to 70 yrds away, I had somehow managed to back my face away from the scope somewhat and partially fogged the lense...And all I had was a neck shot with that darn sun messing with me!

I knew I only had a second...But heck, I knew I could hit a bullseye at this distance...I put pressure on the trigger...a little more, Boom, a 120 Gr Sierra Gameking 25-06 hollowpoint was sent down range propelled by Hodgdons #4831 short cut powder... he jumped straight up in the air then bolted. Crap! I missed, chambering another round...He ran straight back in the direction he came from, I wish he'd stop, I thought, as I followed him in my scope as he then slowed down and stopped 150 yrds out, then turned brodside of me, I knew there wouldn't be a third chance as he stood on the tree line, the sun no longer a factor.

Placed the second shot clean into his heart and he was knocked to the ground never knowing what hit him. Nice seven point, really looked good for my first one.

You live and learn...this fella wants to put me on the same lease next year, if so, I will have a sunshade...I'm a little embarrised that I even took that first shot...the next one will be perfect or I'll let him walk.

Anyone up for some hog hunting?
    ------------------
    United We Stand

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/20/02 2:15:45 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: First Deer...N.E. Texas Whitetail
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sounds like you done good! If every hunt and every shot was predictable and perfect, it wouldn't be as fun. Hopefully you've learned some lessons that will serve you better next time. Congrats on the deer!
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (11/20/02 3:50:27 pm)
    Boy, you are right, the sun can be a booger to deal with. I'm glad you got the other shot. A six was my first deer. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Great story. I hope they(deer) all get bigger from here on.

Hey, Bin Lauden, our women can kick you butt!

Chas
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/20/02 3:52:03 pm)
    Way to go!! Nice reward for being neighborly. Did you see any hogs while you were out?

It'll be fun gearing up for next year.

Chas

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/20/02 5:13:13 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: First Deer...N.E. Texas Whitetail
    Thanks guys, I'm still all pumped up. He said they have a few hogs out there and he showed me what he thought was a hog rutting around...looked more like an armadillo to me (maybe he's never seen a N.E. Tx hog wallow? I've seen 'em that you could lose a small car in) we may go see if we can drop a few, the land owner would love for us to.

But the good thing is...The land I mentioned that we're cleaning up... There is 118 more acres behind it that is partially ol river bottom and full of good hog sign, I have permission to hunt it for hog/coyote/cat, ect,...in fact thats where I dropped my first coyote just the other day, I'm gonna load up some hard hitting spire points and spend some time back in there the next couple of weeks. That gives me right at 170 acres to hunt "legal" by myself, but that ol' bottom hasn't been used by anyone in a long, long time...No one is around to care if I step out of bounds a little bit.
    ------------------
    United We Stand