First experience with LAR 45 Win Mag.

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Shopnut, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Shopnut

Shopnut Former Guest

I found an LAR 45 win mag at a local gun shop a while back. The recoil spring seemed a bit light, so I bought a new 27 lb Wolfe spring which was much stronger. I loaded up some ammo and shot it for the first time today and as usual I am learning something new. I tried to load the cartridges (using 200 JHP and 230 FN)to 1.575", the max OAL, but the cartridge would not fully chamber unless I seated them to 1.515" This seemed rather short, but it was the only way to ensure the slide went all the way forward. A dummy round loaded to 1.575" left a bullet in the chamber after I forced the slide open. I loaded them using H110 using the medium and max loads in the Speer manual.

At the range even the lighter loads really threw the brass back far. The recoil was manageable. None of the loads showed any signs of overpressure. I'm thinking of using 260 grain cast bullets at about 1100 fps as a plinking load. Any suggestions? Thanks.
  2. Shopnut

Shopnut Former Guest