First Garand

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by packetsplace, Jul 17, 2008.

1. packetsplace

packetsplace Member

I have to say Im impressed. Ive had a SA M1 barreled action laying around my shop for about 3 years and finally decided to put it all together. I managed to find all the parts I needed in very goog to excelent condition. I didnt really know much about the M1 except for its place in history. I was amazed at the simplicity of the design. After final assembly on a new Boyds walnut stock, It was time to check the headspace. I was really concerned about this as the bolt is non matching. As luck would have it, it gauged just fine. I took it to the range for fire function testing and 3 clips later, me and my good friend Jeff were smiling. Not a single malfunction. Over the years I have taken on many smithing projects, but I had the most fun with this one.
  2. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I love my garand- I got mine direct from the CMP in great condition.
    You are hard pressed to find a finer rifle all around.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have two Garands and love them both.

One is a Springfield made in the last month of WW II that came to me via Korea from the surplus market nearly 20 years ago. The other is an American made receiver with Beretta internal parts and a Boyds black laminated stock. The latter gun is really accurate and beats the Springfield every time. It also out looks the Springfield, which has a refinished original stock on it.

These are shooter guns NOT collector guns and that's the way I like it! Garands are near the top of my list of favorite military guns.

LDBennett
  4. berto64

berto64 Active Member

I am waiting for my H&R M1 to be delivered this coming Tuesday.

I had a SA but had to sell it to satisfy a bankruptcy a few yrs back. I am much better with my finances these days.

I love them.