First Gun Purchase! :D

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Spoon5254, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Spoon5254

Spoon5254 New Member

Hello, I am looking to buy my first gun within this next month! My only dilemma is I do not not which gun I want, but I do have an idea. I'm deciding between a Walther PPQ (9mm), a Sig Sauer P220 Carry (.45 ACP), and a STAG arms Model 1 (5.56). The Walther is very ergonomic and is in 9mm so I can shoot it all the time for cheap, the Sig is in the oh so sweet .45 and has all the perks of a normal Sig, and the STAG would give me alot of practice with a M4A1 type rifle which I will be using alot in the USMC (Did I mention I was joining the Marines?).

Anyway, my middle name might as well be indecisive so any opinions are greatly appreciated! Thank you. :D
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

good luck there are sooooooooo many choices
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF and congrats on making the decision to serve. Good luck and God speed @ bootcamp.

Easiest thing to narrow your choices down is figure out what your most desired use is at this time. Self-defense, range time or hunting?

I am a huge fan of the P220, excellent guns and never a bad choice with a metal framed Sig.

btw, just curious as to your age since you're joining the Corps. If you're looking at buying a handgun, I'm assuming for now that you're 21+.

Semper Fi,

Woolley
    USMC Active - 91-98
    Marine - Always
  4. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

Have fun making a decision.
  5. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Wow that's a hard call. It depends on a lot of things.
    1. Do you have a place to shoot? range,outdoors
    2. How much can you spend on ammo?
    3. How much experience do you have with firearms?

If you have little experience I would go with a .22. You can shoot these all day for about $20 in ammo.

Welcome to the forum and good luck in the Marines.
  6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Even for those of us who are more experienced, the .22 LR is just really fun. I shoot more .22 than anything, and I probably always will.

+1
  7. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    welcome to the forum,about your choice in firearms buy the one that feels best in your hand,if it feels like it dont belong there do not buy it.now after saying that from experience i know the green machine dont pay real good.i would seriously consider the 22 as advised above.the 22 rounds can be purchased for around twenty dollars per 500.your other choices can only and thats if your lucky be fired 50 times.think about it.the decision you made about the core is one you will never regret(well at least after boot camp)i have been out for almost forty years and im still a marine,thats the difference.if your in any other branch of the service your an x when you get out.when you cashier out of the core you will still be a marine and will have gained many brothers in arms.i have been all over the us and when you meet a fellow marine you instantly gain a brother.remember boot camp is meant to break you down so they can rebuild you from the ground up,its a hard trip but a good one.ooh ra old semperfi
  8. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

BINGO get a 22 buy LOTS of ammo and learn the fundamentals. Once you got the how buy the bigger calibers. If your like most your will still shot more 22 anyway.