First hand gun, Opinions?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Tokyo Dreaming, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Tokyo Dreaming

Tokyo Dreaming New Member

Alright so.. I'm starting to save up for my first firearm, I want to get a 9mm pistol for home defense and range shooting.

I've looked around a little, I'm just not really sure what to go with since this is pretty fresh to me.

I really like Glock 17's, Berreta 92fs, Berreta Px4 Storm.. Pretty much any full size hand gun I love.

Not too concerned with price at the moment since it'll be a few months of saving anyway.

I also have thought about getting a .45 pistol instead of a 9mm.
    I'm just not sure if that'd be 'too much' for my first firearm if you get what I'm saying.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome to TFF, Tokyo.

I have owned a Beretta 92FS since the late 80's and I love it. It is accurate and well built. It is a heavy pistol since it is made of steel and not polymer like the PX4 and the Glock. I have owned a PX4 and I still own a Glock (.40) and I would take the 92FS over either one of them. Another option would be a Sig Sauer, they make some excellent 9mm pistols. I own two of the P250's (a 9mm/.40 & a .45) which is another pistol made of plastic, but still a good gun.

I personally don't think a .45 would be too much for your first gun. If you start out with a .45 then have nothing to compare it too and you would get used to it quickly.
  3. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

My opinion, for what its worth is, for a semi-auto, there is no better home defense weapon than a Glock. The reason I say this is that, it does not have a conventional safety. You ask "why is this important"? The reason is that for the vast majority of us, we have no idea how we will react if suddenly faced with a home break-in and as such, the last thing you need to think about is the safety on your firearm. With a Glock it is simply point and shoot.
  4. Tokyo Dreaming

Awesome.

I was really leaning towards the 92fs but the glock is still in my list, I have a airsoft version of the Glock 17 so I know how the safety works for the most part and I love it for that.

Sig Sauer has also been a possible buy.

I may end up with a .45, I have no idea at the moment. Lol.

Just trying to get some opinions so I won't so much in the dark.

Thanks.
  5. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

gmoody makes good points. All I would say is that 9mm Parabellum ammunition is generally cheaper than 45 ACP, at least where I live. There is another thread in this subforum about inexpensive Walther P-1's. If that deal is still going, that would be a good way to start.

And rairflr might well be right about Glocks and home defense. But the Glock has a unusual trigger. I have not shot a Glock, nor a pistol with the same kind kind of trigger (unless you count a Roth Steyr 1907), but I would be concerned that the relatively long, springy Glock trigger would make it difficult for a new pistol shooter to shoot well with. rcairflr would know more about that than I would - perhaps he will remark on it.

On the other hand, I started pistol shooting with an H&R 999 which did not have a good SA trigger pull. It was discouraging at first - just hitting the paper at 50 feet was hard! - but I found that once I could shoot it well, I could shoot anything fairly well. The low price of 22 rimfire makes learning slowly at lot less painful.

Just my $.02. Shoot safe and have fun!

(PS - I just remembered I have both a Kahr E9 9mm and a KelTec 32! (Darn, I'm getting old.) Both of them have semi-DAO triggers, like the Glock's in principle. I don't know how their triggers compare to a Glock, but neither is something I would hand to a new pistol shooter, both because of the triggers and the power-to-weight ratio, which makes their recoil a bit snappy.)
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  6. Tokyo Dreaming

That is one of the things making me want a 9mm.
    Even more so if I'm gonna take it to a range alot.

I'll have to look into Walther's also.
    I know they make some nice stuff.
  7. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

You may also want to consider the CZ Mod. 75
  8. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I agree on the CZ75. Though glocks are know to be reliable I would shoot one first just to try> we have many people walk in the door that want a glock bc they heard or read or whatever that that is the gun to get. After renting one on the range, they find that the glock is not for them. I do respect the design of the glock but they don't fit me. On a quick draw im always high on shot placement and its the rake of the frame that causes that. The triggers are mushy to me to. Some people like that, some people don't. Don't just buy on a whim, go try some out. All three guns you speak of are good and reliable but completely different feels to them.
  9. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Helix gives you great advice. All the pistols you are considering are great guns. Don't worry yourself about which is better. Worry you self about which one YOU like the best and fits you and your needs. My problem is I like them all but we all have our favorites and you just need to find your favorite. But keep the advice about ammo costs in mind because which ever one you chose you must shoot it a lot to become proficient.
  10. Tokyo Dreaming

Good points guys.

I really love the 92fs, I think it'd be the best one to start with.
    I am going to try to find a range that rents out guns around me and see if I can get my hands on a few different hand guns first.

But I'm heavily leaning to the 92fs.

Thanks again, and if anyone has any other hand guns that I might like, please feel free to post, I'm still really learning about all the different brands, makes, calibers.. Lol.
  11. The Duke

The Duke New Member

If you narrow your decision between the 92F and the Glock..The Beretta wins hands down..If you want and can afford maximum quality, a Sig 226 is my idea of the way to go..
  12. glowdotGlock

glowdotGlock New Member

I agree here. Not just because I am an obvious Glock fan. I would have suggested the Glock 17 but since price isn't an issue and if you're not planning to carry this gun in the future, I'd say go with the Glock 34. I have one and love it. The. 45 would not be too much for you but you should consider this: I'm assuming you are fairly new to shooting. Once you buy your gun, you're gonna want to shoot it. A lot. Get familiar with it. And unless you reload, .45 is considerably higher than 9mm. The 34 gives you a longer sight radius than the 17. They share the same mag though so magazines are readily available. It would suit you fine at the range and in the ol' night-stand. This 34 has fed 5,000+ rounds from the cheepest mix bag discount ammo to Speer gold dot. Can't go wrong with it or the 17. Good luck
    buddy : )
  13. Josh Smith

Josh Smith Member

Hello,

Original, pre-decock Taurus PT92. I carried that thing in iffy situations and it saved my butt a couple times.

Browning High Power or clone. Just stay away from the compact ones.

The Taurus PT92 would benefit from a new-style Beretta locking block.

Regards,

Josh
  14. Tokyo Dreaming

I'm actually looking at the Beretta 90two now..
    I love that it has a Picatinny rail since I'd love to throw a light/laser on it.

Any opinions on it?
  15. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Well TD In my opinion for a first firearm I would strongly suggest a .22 rimfire. It is going to take a lot of practice to become proficient with a pistol with no previous experience. With this in mind one should remember the cost of ammo, .22 is far and away cheaper and you don't have the recoil to deal with. You will have more than enough to concentrate on (sights and target) without having to deal with recoil also. Once proficient with the .22 you can be so with any other handgun.
    That being said the most important thing to remember is " Practice, Practice, Practice."