First hand gun, Opinions?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Tokyo Dreaming, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Tokyo Dreaming

Tokyo Dreaming New Member

Good point..

I was looking at the Beretta U22 Neos if I was going to get a .22, Anybody know if its good or not?

I like the the fact it has a rail on top, for a red dot or whatever.
    And I think it looks pretty damn cool.
  2. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

For a 9mm luger/parabellum pistol the CZ75 is hard to beat there awesome. These can be found in still like new condition in the used gun case at your local gun dealer at a very affordable price.

For a 45acp / 1911 type pistol any of the springfield armory or auto ordnance GI models are a good choice also.

For a 22cal i would suggest a 9 shot revolver like a taurus model 94 or if you want a pistol i would go with a ruger Mk I, MkII or MkIII pistol.
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I bought one of the Neos .22s a few years ago. Mainly because of the name Beretta, I was terribly unhappy with it. I just could not get the rear sight to screw down enough to hit what I was aiming at. I did not even consider putting a red-dot on it (duh). Anyway, after I had it for about a month, I gave it to the Men's group at my Church and we raffled it off.
  4. Tokyo Dreaming

Tokyo Dreaming New Member

Ah that sucks.

I still have a lot of time to figure out what I'll be able to afford and such.
    I may end up with it, may not. No idea yet. Lol.

But info is something I always take. :p
    So thanks.
  5. RockinRiley

RockinRiley New Member

I wanted a glock for a very long time, but then suddenly fell in love with the M&P, wife and I rented it and we bought 2 range kits. I recommend going somewhere and renting before buying, HIGHLY recommend it. Do not buy the first thing you WANT, make sure it is a fit for you! Everything is different, no matter how much similar they are. M&P and Glock have some of the same features, but do not fit the same. Good luck, and have fun!
  6. hansom

hansom Former Guest

OP, i see that you are quite entheusiastic about your shooting , good!

THe NEOS .22 you asked about is a very good .22, look into one.

I have all the Guns you mentioned except the Nine two, dont care for it, but i do own a 92, i would not recommend a Glock to beginners, its a great gun but it can be very unforgiving.

You seem to like Berettas , the Beretta 92 is an awsome all around gun, try one of those and see , but i would recommend that you stay away from the Glocks untill you gain more experience/gun handling ability etc.
  7. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I would recommend a .22 first; I'd buy a Browning Buckmark or Ruger Mk before I'd ever consider the Neos. I have no faith in the reliability of the Neos. The quality difference is night and day.
    Buying a .22 first will ensure that you'll be able to develop better skills more quickly and also more easily afford to feed it.
  8. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

imo, which aint worth much, but if this will be the only handgun you own and you don't plan on practicing with it much then i would get a DA revolver... a .357 magnum and shoot 38 spc out of it, it is easy to use and the gun is virtually fool proof to operate...

if you are comfortable with handguns and you plan on practicing regularly then i would go with the semi auto, and the Glock 21 or 23 would be my pick... good luck!
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  9. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

First off, do what you want, it's a free country.... for now.

Secondly, knowing I'm going to sound like a big stick in the mud, I'll throw the following out anyhow.

Man, I must really be getting old or something and I know that it happens but, I wouldn't recommend a handgun as a FIRST firearm for anyone. But then again, that's just me. IMO there are far better & safer tools to learn and develop safe firearm handling skills, familiarity and basic firearm knowledge through than with a handgun.

Now, running for cover. :eek: :)
  10. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

BobMcG, I agree with you. A rifle is generally easier to learn gun safety with, more pleasant to shoot, and easier to shoot well with than a pistol. In addition, a 22 rifle is often cheaper than a 22 pistol. Since the OP framed his question in terms of centerfire pistols, it did not occur to me to suggest a rifle - I am not as good at "thinking outside the box", I guess.
  11. gundriller

gundriller New Member

Ok, I'll put my 2 cents in too.

CZs are great guns, I've got 3. Wouldn't take for any of them. Accurate and dependable.

and,

I recently purchased a Glock 30 short frame (a .45) and love it.

Glock and CZ are my go to guns.

Don't think you'll be happy owning only one gun :D
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Buy a CZ75 9mm and a .22 kadet conversion for it and never look back. You wont be sorry. In fact you will most likely do as most who purchase a CZ75 do and purchase many more CZs. I have 2 and it isnt near enough..
  13. pmeisel

pmeisel New Member

Tokyo, you haven't mentioned if you have any prior shooting experience. A trip to the range with a friend or relative might improve your ability to choose....

I am mainly a revolver guy, but I also love to practice with my Ruger Mark II. My son, who I taught, has now settled on Berettas because of his familiarity from military service.

A full size 9mm like the 92 and family would probably not be too much for you. But most of us like to see a new shooter start with 22s, lots of cheap practice and minimal recoil.
  14. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My opinion is... rent several from a shooting range and see what feels good. See what fits your hand and see what points good. I agree with the Glock that it is a point and shoot, and Glock has alot to choose from, so see what fits you from what they have to offer. Personally I like a 45.... propably because they don't make a 46, he, he, he. My biggest suggestion to you, being new to the firearm scene, is whatever handgun you get, learn how to handle it with respect and sefety. Find out about the don't so no one gets hurt. I would HIGHLY recommend getting an instructor that will take you and your hand gun and build on that. It's wise and will make you a better shooter. Plus, you can see what they shoot as well. Jim
  15. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You cant go wrong with the Beretta 92. Like other I recommend getting a 22 rimfire to learn to shoot 1st. To get good you need to put a lot of lead down range. 22 is cheap.