First Handgun Purchase

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

Slimslam
    (1/14/03 1:28:31 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All First Handgun Purchase
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am researching the purchase of my first handgun for sport shooting/home defense purposes. My budget is only $300-350. I found a used S & W .38S revolver w/ 4" barrel for $299. Is this a reasonable price? Thanks....
    ss

Edited by: Slimslam at: 1/14/03 2:11:15 pm

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/14/03 3:33:13 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: First Handgun Purchase
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    38S? can you double check the model number and check back with us?

Thanks

Quote:
    "Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow

ZiggedandZagged@aol.com

Slimslam
    (1/14/03 4:05:07 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: First Handgun Purchase
    ZZ2,
    It is a Model 10 from the early 1980's (according to the sales guy).
    ss

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/14/03 4:09:32 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: First Handgun Purchase
    Undoubtedly, '.38S' is .38 Special. $299 is a bit on the high side.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

303brit
    (1/14/03 4:21:53 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del First handgun
    Check out the Ruger P95, you should be able to find one under $350
    I have had one for 5 years now. It is the only auto I have shot extensively that has never jammed once.

Silver72
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/14/03 4:54:16 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del First Handgun
    Slinslam, I bought a 4' S&W .38 Spec Mdl. 15 for $230 that was like new. They are out there.

Jbobin
    (1/14/03 7:33:36 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Model 19
    I bought a model 19-5 for $225, sin used condition with barrel wear. Other than the cosmetics, it is slick. What is the price difference between a Model 10 and 19?

Jb

Tac401
    Administrator
    (1/14/03 11:27:32 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Model 19
    J,

The Mod 10 is strictly 38SPL & the Mod 19 is .357-Magnum.

Of course, the Mod 19 fires both 357 & 38(same diameter/
    longer case 357)but I'd take a 19(66-if stainless)over a 10
    any day, if the price is within reason as you described!

Tac
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

1badmagnum
    (1/15/03 5:04:27 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Model 19
    check out gunfinder eaa witness 9mm brand new for $300.
    good reviews on the eaa firearms,I'm thinking of plinking with the 40 or 45 version.

Slimslam
    (2/2/03 9:12:34 am)
    Of the following, which revolver is ideal for both target shooting and home defense? Also, what price range is reasonable for each if I can find them used?

S & W: Model 10, 64 or 67 (for 38S)
    S & W: Model 686, 686P, 65, 66, 627 (for 357/38S)

Thanks
    SS

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/2/03 9:40:37 am)
    Model 10 .38 specials can be had for $125 to $225 depending on finish and condition. I bought a late 60s one couple of years ago for $240 but it is like brand new and has the little S&W screw driver.

Those other models you've listed with the 3 or 4 inch barrels in .357 magnum caliber are nice to consider, you can of course shoot 38 specials in them for practice.

BTW, I wouldn't part with my .38 special for less than $300, just not that many nice ones still left on the open market.

Gunguy

sig230
    (2/2/03 7:19:51 pm)
    Slimslam

All of them.

prices will vary depending on area but they can usually be found in VG condition for something between $150-25.00.

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/3/03 3:40:48 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Model 19
    Slim Slam -

Just one little thing to say about them short barreled revolvers:

BEWARE

OF

THE

MUZZLE

BLAST!!

Wear hearing protection, you're gonna need it.

Jbobin
    (2/3/03 3:39:08 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Model 19 /10
    I second the motion....SlimSlam, look at at least a 4inch barrel, unless you like punishing target practice. Even the .39 special low power ammo will recoil quite a bit.

My first gun was a World War II Victory Model rechambered for .38 special during the war by a well known English company, Cogswell & Harrison. It was a thing of beauty, with ethcing and such. I did some long hours of drafting during my early college years and earned enough to buy it from the old gentlemen down the street. It shot well enough and was smooth as silk. I was absolutely stupid to sell it for $200 about 3 years ago.

If you find an old Model 10 or 19, buy it, love it, shoot it and pass it on to someone who will take care of it. I now choose my guns carefully and will never give them up for a few measly dollars on a trade or sale.

Jb

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/3/03 6:26:01 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Model 19 /10
    Yeah, Jobin, you ain't just woofing about them old brit lend lease guns, they is extremely good.

I got a 5 inch barrel one that is the cats meow, plenty smooth on the double action and .38 special. Its me house carry around gun. Am I paranoid, no just careful.

Gunguy

Slimslam
    (2/4/03 8:04:35 am)
    thanks for the replies....should I even consider a 6 in barrel?
    ss

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/4/03 8:09:24 am)
    most definitely consider a 6"...

you'll get more accuracy for you sport shooting

Quote:
    "Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow

ZiggedandZagged@aol.com

NEtracker
    (2/4/03 10:20:04 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Revolver
    For me, my 4" barrel .357 magnum just balances real nice.
    I shoot it at targets at 50 ft a lot, and it's plenty accurate.
    Stainless steel, so recoil is tame.

Whatever you decide on, it needs to feel good to You; check balance & in your grip.

sig230
    (2/4/03 3:02:52 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Revolver
    SS

One of the better things about the 38 special handguns is that so many people want the 357magnum models, even though they shoot 38 special through them 99.999999999% of the time, that the market on those 38 special is kinda depressed. But the reality is, some of the best, most accurate shooters out there are 38 special guns.

Some of my favorites are the M-10s from S&W and the Army Special or Official Police from Colt. I have a couple old Army Specials with plain old fixed sights that have made many a rifle shooter hang their heads out to about 100 yards. At 50 yards these guns can be scary accurate. (just wish I was)

As to barrel length, the 4" to 6" handguns are near perfect for target work. If you are going to carry concealed, the 4" is easier than the 6" but I've carried both. The 6" almost has to be carried OWB though unless your built really funny.

Jbobin
    (2/5/03 3:49:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del 357/38
    I carry my Model 19 with 6inch barrel in an ankle holster....

You should see me carry my .44 mag.....

Slimslam
    (2/6/03 1:28:16 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 357/38
    I just came across a used, S & W Model 64, 4" barrel for $299. Worth considering, or too high in price? Gonna check out a local gun show this weekend. Are gun shows a good place to look for a used firearm? I realize it depends on the dealer, etc. Any reply is always appreciated...thanks
    ss

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    sig230
    (2/7/03 4:01:37 pm)
    SS

Take a little time and spend it at www.gunbroker.com/ www.auctionarms.com/ & www.gunsamerica.com/ to get a feel for what prices are available. Also contact CDNN and SOG since they were both selling of a number of LE trade in and discontinued Smiths recently. You might also want to check Century Arms because they too had a bunch of Smiths available.
    Aslan is not a Tame Lion

Slimslam
    (2/7/03 4:41:49 pm)
    sig230,
    thanks for the tips...I'll check them out!! Appreciate it!
    ss

rhinehartg
    (2/8/03 11:31:37 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del .38 10-5
    Hello folks,

This thread is of great interest to me, because I have just started trying to sort out the different S&W models.

As a matter of fact, the other day, I was all lined up to buy a classic model 10, but it had a defect in the bore which would make it inaccurate, and I wanted to shoot the thing.

Under the effect of dissappointment and impulse, I bought a very nice model 10-5, four inch, ($225.-). But now, I'm not so sure I did the right thing. The 10-5 is a discontinued model, and my basic idea was to have a gun with unlimited replacement parts. Are model ten parts interchangeable with those on the 10-5 ?

Also, is the 10-5 the same as the 15 (masterpiece combat)?
    Everywhere I see pictures of this latter, it is with adjustable sights, and the revolver I bought has the fixed sight.

Let me say, I'm gad to have found a board like this.

Regards,

Rhinehart G.

fredarmory
    (2/8/03 11:36:02 am)
    I used to own a Model 10 I purchased for 100.,it was a Hong Kong police order in 1957 returned for credit on a new purchase from S&W. It was extremely smooth operating and simple, the sights were also right-on, I was wondering if the
    Model 10 you looked at in the beginning had a heavy barrel,
    and if the ejector was right-hand or left-hand threaded,
    also where was the 10 at ?

rhinehartg
    (2/8/03 12:21:03 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del model 10
    Fred,

No. Not a heavy barrel. Don't know for the ejector. The gun is in Canada. Cheap but expensive to ship.

BTW, I converted the currency the wrong way: I bought my 10-5 for 150.- Can, which is 100.- US.

Regards,

Rhinehart G.

capitan cab
    (2/10/03 9:46:11 pm)
    Look on gunbroker.com. you can get an idea how much they all go for.

seven 62
    (2/10/03 11:59:13 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del First Handgun Purchase

My first ever handgun was an old CZ-52 in 7.62x25 Tokarev, and I still love to shoot it. However, the round is highly penetrating and I live in a residential (crowded) so I got a Makarov IJ-70 17A in .380 ACP for in the house. The Mak is a wonderful gun and it was only $165. Definitely worth looking into.
    I still have and love both, but now also keep a .38 "off duty" Charter snubby in the nightstand drawer. I have come to trust revolvers more than autoloaders.
    That and I just like snubbies.

Shoot well