1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

First handgun

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by jbettin, Aug 13, 2010.

1. North2Alaska

North2Alaska New Member

I'd look into a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 Mag

Very accurate and dependable. And it's the gun I'd want with me if I had a bear coming at me.
  2. zb338

zb338 New Member

Whatever big magnum pistol you buy, buy a nice little .22 pistol
    along with it. Starting out with a big magnum will make any of
    us a big time flincher. If that happens you won't be able to hit
    anything. Shoot the .22 a lot and then you will be ready to shoot
    the big guy.
    Zeke
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

from the way you worded it, you would not be hunting with this handgun, but carrying it as a backup type gun on a hunting trip. if this is the case, it is my opinion that the 1911 in 45acp would be fine for this application.

i have read several magazine articles about hunting with auto loading pistols and know that in the right hands a 1911, using the right loads is a very effective hunting tool. i have heard of people carrying it as bear back up also.

for a pistol that would do both home defense duty, plinking and also hunting the 1911 could work. and since you're familiar with it, it might be a good choice. a 44 magnum would be a better choice for hunting bear obviously. but if it is only going to be a backup, i would go 45.

another option that others have not mentioned would be a 357 magnum. in the hands of a competent marksman 357 magnum has taken most species including brown bear. i dont know if anyone has taken polar bear with it though. while again, a 44 would be better to hunt with, as a backup a 357 could serve.

for my tastes, as a home defense/plinking gun that will be used for hunting backup, the 44 is probably not the best choice.

if the gun is to be used for the primary hunting weapon, i would suggest a ruger blackhawk 44 magnum
  4. lucky-gunner

lucky-gunner New Member

Well for a good backpacking revolver the .44 Magnum would be the best choice. I have the S&W 460 and it's a great revolver but the X Frame is heavy and unless you are hunting with it you won't want to carry it around.
  5. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

As a back up in Alaska where one may encounter bears of large stature a 1911 would be totally unexceptable. Even a 357 mag does not have the bite needed to put down a charging brown bear. Go with at least a 44 mag and learn to shoot it quickly and accurately. Bears are fast and can close distances very quickly on you. And be sure to go with a DA revolver over a single action. There may not be time or you amy be unable to cock the gun during a bear attack.

Best bet though for back up in Alaska would be a pump shotgun loaded up with slugs.
  6. 1911 man

1911 man New Member

a ruger super redhawk will fill any job you need it to,and it will last forever
  7. roaddog28

roaddog28 New Member

Hi,
    For hunting in 44 mag a Ruger Redhawk 5 1/2 barrel is a option or in single action a Blackhawk in a 4 5/8 barrel. The Blackhawk convertible is a great option but factory ammo for 45LC is harder to find. Most people I know with the Blackhawk convertible in 45LC and 45ACP reload. Actually if you do reload the Blackhawk convertible is the best option.

Good luck,
    Howard