First load results

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by SFW, Nov 30, 2008.

1. SFW

SFW New Member

Hello all. I'm just getting into the world of reloading. I have an old RCBS setup that my father has passed on to me. I primarily will be using this setup for my .270 and my son's 30-30.

My first "test" load was for my .270WIN. I wanted to be able to do some varmit hunting with the rifle, so I chose the Sierra 277 dia. 90 gr. HP Varminter bullet. I used 55 grains of H380 powder and CCI 200 primers. Loads were all hand weighed to make sure that they were as consistant as possible. Here are the results from the range"

[​IMG]

Eight rounds on the paper at 100 years (sighted 1.5 high to be on at 200 yards.) Seven of them can be covered with a US quarter. The eigth round was sent left when the guy shooting the 300 mag next to me fired as I was getting ready. So I jerked the round- not a fault of the ammo or load. I am quite please with my first attempt at a "new to me" load.
  2. muddober

muddober Active Member

That is a very respectable group and I am suprised that you did it with such light bullets. Most 270's do very well with 130-150. I am going to have to try your load in my gun. Thanks for sharing.:)
  3. artabr

artabr New Member

Welcome to the forum.
    Great group! Consistency is the key to tight groups.

Art
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

That's a pretty nice group for the 90gr Sierra HPs in your .270.
    I have used that bullet in the past in my dad's Rem700 .270 when I took it along as a backup on a prairie poodle hunt a few years back. if I remember, I was getting about 1.25"-1.5" groups at 100yds pushing the bullet with IMR4064. I never did a lot of tweaking on the load though since it was just a backup rifle.
    Dad has used that load as coyote medicine a few times as well...it's not the hot ticket for hide hunting since it did a good job of peeling one dog darn near inside-out. :D But dad's not in it for the hides anyway, he's just keeping the yotes away from the cattle.
  5. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Nice and tight... Very impressive for your first loads!

Welcome to the forums SFW.

Crpdeth
  6. SFW

SFW New Member

Thanks guys. A few things that I forgot to mention...

My rifle is a Remington 700. It has always shot very consistantly. So the grouping was what I expected from the load. I don't think that light rounds are hard to get accurate, as my father-in-law drives tacks with his 22-250, shooting 55 grain loads. I was attempting to mimick some of the properties of the 22-250 with this load. (Although it's not helping with my desire for a 22-250 of my own...lol!)

Normally for deer, I go with a 130gn Hornday SST. I'm just exploring some new options for this gun.

Thanks for the welcome!
  7. FJF0311

FJF0311 New Member

Lemme know what you come up with for the 30-30. I am thinking of buying my boy a winchester 94. I wouldn't mind letting you do some of the "Leg work"
    Thanks!
  8. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure what muddober was meaning by light bullets is more specifically light bullets for the bore size. 90gr is a very light bullet for .277 and it's real easy to overspeed them given the barrel twist rate. If you push them too fast, you can make em "grenade" (disintegrate) shortly after leaving the muzzle or just plain cause some instability that will make for poor groups downrange.

I don't have that particular loading journal anymore (lost it in a fire), but I was using a fairly mild loadfor the 90gr in my dad's .270. Just a grain or grain+half over the starting load. Anything faster and the groups really opened up in that rifle.

It is kinda neat to explore the range of bullets to see how versatile you can make one particular rifle.
  9. muddober

muddober Active Member

Bindernut is 100% correct in what I meant and I will embellish. In order to stabilize a heavy bullet it takes a faster rate of twist. As an example a 130 grain bullet leaving the muzzle at 3,000 fps with a 1 in 12 twist is spinning at 180,000 RPM. A 90 grain bullet shot from that same barrel at 3,600 fps is spinning 216,000 RPM which is why sometimes the bullet won't even make it to the target before it literally flies apart. A small diameter bullet is less likely to fly apart than a large caliber bullet (bore size) of equal RPM because the surface speed of the larger bullet is much faster than the smaller one spinning at the same RPM.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  10. SFW

SFW New Member

Ah... got ya. Sorry for the confusion.